HumbleChief

Is There a Way to Insert a Layer of Floor Structure UNDER The Existing Layers?

I do this a lot,  for the floor on the second floor, that way anything on the second floor creates the automatic overbuild or lower ceiling of the existing ceiling joists below. What you show is the only and fastest way I know of how to do it unless you already have it set up in your template plan. Every second floor addition I do has this type of detail. The only problem is if the ceiling joists are going a different direction than the new floor joists, have to manually fix that in the sections by adding some cross boxes. I use the space as a duct space and call it that ,instead of air space. Just copy air gap and change the name

Thanks for the reply Perry. I've used this a couple times myself and saves loads of time re-routing electrical etc. and knew you used it also so again appreciate the confirmation.

You can also get large floor beams in that space without any trouble.

6 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

You can also get large floor beams in that space without any trouble.

SWEET

I just posted a suggestion for adding the ability to move the layers "UP/DOWN" similarly to how we can in Wall Types.

7 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I just posted a suggestion for adding the ability to move the layers "UP/DOWN" similarly to how we can in Wall Types.

Yep, that would be a good feature.

35 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Good one Joe. I posted as well but it's been a while. I'll go and second your suggestion.

As Scott says .... easy peezy.  All you have to do is move your mouse cursor over the lower part of the graphic in the bottom right corner of the dbx and click in the area where you want your new layer.  Then go to the upper left and click insert and it should put the new layer at the bottom of the group.  Watch the bottom right graphic and you'll see the arrow move from the top layer default position down to the layer area you clicked in.

• Upvote 1

Something I actually stumbled onto some time ago.

• Upvote 2