Bay Window Picture Frame Casing

MarkMc

Go to solution Solved by dshall,

I run into a lot of these- bay window where the casing is a picture frame flat on the wall. Tried a few things, checked videos and can't find the answer.

I fudge this moving the bay out of the way, then adding a pass through and moving the bay back. Close but no cigar. I can't get the bay to move close enough to the interior. How do I do this please?

post-85-0-77323100-1402244604_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-55300800-1402244638_thumb.jpg

Bay WIndoe casing.zip

Okay,  I just wasted 15 minutes trying to help.  I am no help.  Why these bay windows have been so hard to deal with,  I cannot explain.  Plain silly.

Hey CA,  you program these windows,  have you ever tried to use what you programed? For the last 8 years bay windows have been difficult.  Please fix this so us nit wits can work with them.

Mark,  try the manual build,  unfortunately I think something has changed and that is difficult now.  Good luck Bud.

Thanks Scott- will try that. Your faster (and surer) than me, I did a couple of hours including videos before resorting to the pass through, then fiddled some more before asking. I don't get it, maybe it's regional? but almost all the ones I run into are like what I'm after.

• Solution

Here is a  vid Mark.  Nothing new.  I built the bay manually.  I guess I just live with building manually and ending up with a SQUARE vs ANGLED OPENING.  Sorry,  best I can do,  maybe somebody else can make it work.....  maybe CA can make it work for you....  what a concept.

http://youtu.be/7yFSBeL7Hlw

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the vid- looks like the way to go- at least a bit better than what I've got. Think I can make it work out with your second method, a few psolids and some molding- at least to keep client happy. The upside is I only need the interior.

Sash inset wont help but I used Mark's Pass through solution with a Box window recently but had to increase the FRAME depth so it would show white all the way to the Pass through's casing/frame in 3D. May have played with the Pass through's Frame setting too?

Is that a library Window or just the Bay Window Tool ?  Here that is usually called a Kitchen Garden Window , they work pretty well for increasing light and making the Kitchen "feel" bigger...

M.

Edited: correction sorry .....there are two Inset settings  frame and sash....not sure if the Frame inset will help but  in the Pass thru work around above I set the window frame to 12" deep see the image below.

Sash

Specify the size and position of the Sash. Increasing the Side, Middle, Top or Bottom decreases the area of the glass.

• Specify the Side width of all vertical sash members: those at the window sides as well as the central members of casement and sliding windows.

This is also the width of the top portion of the window when an arch is specified.

• Specify the Middle width of horizontal components between the top and bottom sash in double hung, double and triple awning,

and double and triple hopper   windows. It does not affect casement and sliding windows.

• Specify the Top and Bottom sash widths. The Top value is not used if the window has an arch.

• Specify the Depth, or thickness, of the sash stock measured from the exterior to the interior.

• Specify the Inset, the distance between the frame and the outermost sash. If there is no frame, the inset is measured from the outer surface of the wall’s main layer.

Frame

Specify the size and position of the Frame. If this value is set to zero, the wall’s main layer thickness is used as the frame depth.

• Specify the Side, Top and Bottom widths of the window frame.

• Specify the Frame Depth. This value cannot be less than the wall’s main layer thickness.

• Specify the Inset, the distance that the window frame is inset from the exterior of the main wall layer. Normally, the outer surface of the frame aligns with the outer surface of the main wall layer. A positive value moves the frame towards the wall’s exterior while a negative value moves it towards the interior.

post-315-0-97553600-1402270096_thumb.png 

It's the bay window tool for that one.

Using a combination of Scotts slam it into the corner after: making casings 0 (Simply unchecking didn't work as well), no trimmer (already had that), change default minimum for mulled units, and set rough allowance to 1/4- then using Perry and kbird suggestion I played with the frame on the pass through- set the depth DOWN to 2" and inset to 4"- then just for grins I went back into the component windows of the bay and made the interior casings 2" which closed the gaps and didn't move the window -Pretty close to real life now.

Thanks all

post-85-0-16835900-1402272838_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-98923200-1402272846_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update ....

I thought I had seen this type of window in one of the Window Library's  eg Marvin  but I guess not, the search function aint to helpful without knowing the exact name of the window type etc....

M.

I believe those Bay Windows are Andersen.  I have a set of symbols I did for X5 and used them as (exterior  fixtures, hangs on wall).  I used a PassThru Window as the hole in the wall with frame, casings, sill and apron.

X6 made it possible to make the symbols as projection windows, but CA didn't get the Casings, Frame, etc correct with relation to the Projection Window.  The discrepancies were reported to CA during Beta but there have been no fixes for those yet.

Thx Joe but don't waste too much time if it's a big deal but if you have them a 36hx36w or 36hx48w would work since its normally above the Kitchen Sink so would go in 42" off the floor. I assume it's not resizable then from your comment?

Mick

Mick,

Technically they can be stretched, but the 2D Block doesn't stretch the same as the 3D Symbol - requires a regeneration of the 2D Block.  For that reason - and the fact that Andersen makes these to specific sizes - I prefer to just have a full set of their stock sizes and avoid any resizing operations.

It shouldn't be a problem for me to find them - I just never bothered to bring them forward to X6.  I need to do that anyway.

appreciate it Joe .

Never made symbols , just a few Blocks , so if it is made in one version it is only good for that version  or newer versions ? just curious as I see symbols on the other Forum but most I can't use , not having X6.

M.

Thanks Joe , those windows work well , they are on the Furniture ,Exteriors layer so I switched it them to Windows Layer , I assume that's no issue right?

definitely easier than messing with the Bay window tool :)

so thanks again.

M.