GeneDavis

Controlling newel heights in staircases. How to deal with multiple height needs.

Maybe I drew the staircase wrong.  See my pics.

I go up a run to a landing, and make a turn from there to the top.  Simple arrangement, gotta be as common as dirt.

Chief treats the whole staircase as one, in that I cannot specify newel heights for the various pieces of it.  When I set the newel height for the balustrade at the bottom tread, it is too tall for the horizontal balustrade across the edge of the landing.

How is this best done to get section-controllable newel heights?

post-55-0-96876500-1473823974_thumb.png

post-55-0-49887200-1473823988_thumb.png

Glen, where is the Railing Panel tab in the Stair Landing Specification dbx?

post-95-0-17847100-1473856619_thumb.png

I've never run across this setting, but would love it if I'm just being dumb, because it would really helpful.

Thanks.

I must of had a brain freeze.

There is a setting in the staircase specification dbx for Landing Rail Height, but it doesn't affect the newel height.

The best way is to set the newel height to suit the landing, no newel on first tread for the stairs, and then place manual newels on the stairs.

This is one of the reasons Chief needs a total revamp of the stairs so we have more control over them

• Upvote 1

What I'll do is set the newel height to 1 inch so the three are still there in planview, then do p'line solids drawn over them with heights set where needed.

If you want to change only 1 of the stair runs hold down control before selecting it and you can modify only that portion

• Upvote 2