morkas

Any way to redefine ceiling outlets?

I have placed several outlets in the ceiling of my covered porch for Christmas lighting and the like.  I would like them to be defined as weatherproof; however, the only option for ceiling outlets as far as I can see are regular duplex outlets.  I do see where I can change the label, but that does nothing to change the actual type.  This keeps coming up on my plan check, which I am admittedly a bit obsessed with.  Any suggestions?

Peace,

Teresa

You need to modify the 2D Block to include WP and save the outlet to your user Library so it's available for future projects.

If You like you can use the existing "Duplex (weatherproof)"  and open the symbol DBX and go to Options tab and select Ceiling Mounted Placement and then rotate using the tools in the 3D tab and also control the elevation in the Std. DBX.  As Joe said then change the 2D block and add to library for next time.

Michael did a good video on 2D Cad Block a while back: https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/8942-fancy-cad-blocks-for-symbols-that-remain-consitent-between-2d-and-3d/#entry79240

post-4797-0-82683700-1468760923_thumb.jpg

FWIW, ceiling mounted outlets should not need to be weatherproof.  Assuming that they are under the roof there shouldn't be any way for them to get wet.  If you mount a light fixture or fan on the ceiling of a porch for example, they don't have to be waterproof fixtures.

Maybe it's just a matter of a notation on the plan that the outlets are "ceiling mounted".  Or, you could indicate a light fixture and then have the fixture changed to an outlet later.  GFCI protection could also be used.

Thanks for the info.  I agree that a weatherproof outlet should not be required, but honestly I don't know what the code is and sometimes it can be a bit quirky.  This does beg another question... is there a way to ignore an error in the plan check just as you can in spell check in MS Word?

FWIW, ceiling mounted outlets should not need to be weatherproof.  Assuming that they are under the roof there shouldn't be any way for them to get wet.  If you mount a light fixture or fan on the ceiling of a porch for example, they don't have to be waterproof fixtures.

Maybe it's just a matter of a notation on the plan that the outlets are "ceiling mounted".  Or, you could indicate a light fixture and then have the fixture changed to an outlet later.  GFCI protection could also be used.

They may not be impacted by rain but there is an issue with insects here in Florida. So the spring loaded covers do a good job of keeping those little critters out.

NEC 408.8

( A ) Damp Locations. A receptacle installed outdoors in a location protected from the weather or in other damp locations shall have an enclosure for the receptacle that is weatherproof when the receptacle is covered (attachment plug cap not inserted and receptacle covers closed). (Gasketed Outlet)

An installation suitable for wet locations shall also be considered suitable for damp locations.

A receptacle shall be considered to be in a location protected from the weather where located under roofed open porches, canopies, marquees, and the like, and will not be subjected to a beating rain or water runoff. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be a listed weather-resistant type.

( B ) Wet Locations. (1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type

It is up to your building inspector to interpret it. I would install a gasketed outlet.

If You like you can use the existing "Duplex (weatherproof)"  and open the symbol DBX and go to Options tab and select Ceiling Mounted Placement

Please forgive my ignorance.  It's probably right in front of me, but I do not see an "options" tab in the DBX for the outlet.  Listed are General, Layer, Materials, and Label.  There are Options under the General tab (Reverse Symbol, Include in Schedule), but I see nowhere where I can change the outlet from a wall mount to a ceiling mount to create what you have created in your thumbnail. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty new at doing anything more than designing a pretty looking (but not mechanically functional) house on the default layer.  We all have to start somewhere.

Teresa,

Are you talking about Chief's "Plan Check" or the one done by the Building Dept?

Teresa,   Sorry but I did not mean to leave you on you own but I was able to enjoy a day off.  Looks like Jerry was able to give you what you needed.  When you are ready to there is a whole new world to explore with symbols by opening them with this tool  post-4797-0-81164400-1468803847.jpg  that I referred to this morning.  This is also where you need to be to edit the associated 2D cad block.

Jerry, Nice work on your symbol.  Did you recreate or just edit? Your offsets seemed to work out better than mine.   Always learning.

Jerry to the rescue again.  :)  Thanks guys!  I am eager to explore the "whole new world" that you speak of Chopsaw, and fully intend on some training next year.  Unfortunately, I need to finish this project within a few short weeks to be ready for an engineer's approval and it is becoming clearer by the day how much I do not know.  I hope to look back on this time someday and smile at what little knowledge I once had, but for now it's just frustrating.  Luckily, everyone I have run into on this forum has been very giving of themselves and their knowledge.  Thanks again!

You're welcome Teresa. Chopsaw, I copied a wall mount and edited. Made it ceiling mount and  changed the x rotation and removed the numbers for z and saved. Then put it in plan and fixed the 11 1/2" offset it gives from ceiling and saved to library again. Somewhere along the way I edited the cad block for the text to remove that awful Arial font lol.

Thanks Jerry, I was in a hurry and missed the step of saving to library and then placing back into plan. The library seems to also be a hospital as it seems to rewrite the file and clean it up. My symbol still wanted to snap to the wall after editing (see attached) but was restored in the library (hospital).

If you have a preferred custom font you can set up your "Default Label Style" so you always get that. Default Settings> Text, Callouts and Markers> Text Styles> Default Label Style> Edit (Not Arial)

post-4797-0-91359900-1468866063_thumb.jpg

I have all my fonts set to ARchitext font. The "WP" is part of original cad block so had to change it. The label is completely different.