This is so different! - Elevation questions

helavagal

I guess it has been a lot longer than I thought since I used CA.  How do you put dimensions on the elevations?  You used to be able to edit a couple of lines - can you still do that?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Angela

There is a dimension tool that is not dependant upon spacial dimensionable points (it creates its own dimension points) that I would use to show overhang values and otherwise  hard to dimension points. The tool is called "Point to Point" dimension tool, it is the fourth tool icon from the top of dimension tools.

DJP

This is still the big elephant in the room deficiency for Chief.

Such a powerful program yet you still can't pull a dimension line in an elevation view without popping a blood vessel.

So sad.

To think you need to resort to point to point dimensioning is disgusting.

Story pole is quite an awkward alternative when all you want to do is dimension between two items on a facade etc...

I think we're leading people on when we tell them "sure just use story pole or point to point."

Ummm no. Just don't.

Angela,

Maybe this thread will help you a bit...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/9789-video-request-elevation-dimensioning/?hl=%2Belevation+%2Bpoint+%2Bpoint#entry85433 

Unfortunately, story pole dimensions aren't going to help you when it comes to any horizontal dimensions such as the overhang you mentioned (at least that's what it sounds like you're talking about), and I really doubt it has anything to do with your dimension settings.  I for one won't sugar coat it...there are simply a lot of things that don't dimension very well in elevation views and I find myself resorting to point to point dimensions quite a bit for elevation views. 

BTW, you don't actually need to use the auto story pole dimension tool for story pole dimensions either.  You can dimension all those items using standard dimension tools as well.