ericepv

Ray Trace settings for brushed stainless steel

I'd like to get some opinions on the best settings to use when ray-tracing brushed stainless steel. I have been experimenting with predefined metal, shiny metal, general material, etc. but the brushed stainless often comes out almost black. Any thoughts on the best settings?

There are some new metal downloads @ Chief's website in the bonus section, they look pretty good

• Upvote 1

There is also some good ones in the Formica Decometal library.

Alan

I'd like to get some opinions on the best settings to use when ray-tracing brushed stainless steel. I have been experimenting with predefined metal, shiny metal, general material, etc. but the brushed stainless often comes out almost black. Any thoughts on the best settings?

Sometimes black metal mean you may have forgotten to turn photon mapping on.

Thanks Perry, I downloaded the new metals library and that did the trick.

Eric

The one I typically use was provided by another user, it's named Brushed SSteel Horz, you can find it over in Symbols & Content. The only change if I recall correctly is I changed the material properties to reflective and increased the reflectivity. This seems to work fairly well and makes the stainless look half decent in a camera view render and a Raytrace. See attached pics.

Graham 

post-4793-0-73058200-1464366507_thumb.jpg

post-4793-0-67943000-1464366509_thumb.jpg

Kitchen Adobe - Symbols & Content???? Please expand on this.

Kitchen Adobe - Thanks for the file, that worked pretty nice! Where is this one hiding (still can't find 'Symbols & Content')?

Kitchen Adobe - Thanks for the file, that worked pretty nice! Where is this one hiding (still can't find 'Symbols & Content')?

Pleased that it worked out. Here is the link to the main forum page, there are a number of specific forums.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/

Select Symbols & Content and use the search for "stainless steel" it's in there somewhere.

Graham

Graham - OK, got it now. I was looking in my X8 library and the catalog downloads. Many thanks for the tip.

Eric

Graham - OK, got it now. I was looking in my X8 library and the catalog downloads. Many thanks for the tip.

Eric

Eric - I should have mentioned that it was a forum members upload and not a standard Chief Library item. I have not had time to evaluate the new Bonus Metal materials that Perry mentioned. Did you try any of them and if so how do they compare to the one I provided?

Graham