kylejmarsh

From '3x12 joists 16" OC' to '11 7/8 iJoist' label

Hi - New to chief and getting into framing. Looked around the forums and couldn't find a link to this question: How do I change the automatic labels for my floor framing. I've specified 11 7/8 iJoists but the auto-labels say 3x12 joists - I can't send these plans out with that label. Although it is technically accurate from a nominal standpoint, it's not doing much for me as is. Any tips? Looked all around to try to fix this.

Kyle

Change them from lumber to engineered lumber and the label will change

I changed mine like Parry suggested but still get the 2 x12 flr jsts, I would like to see a size like real world 2 1/2 x 11 7/8 i-joist, or what ever size joist or I joist that would be specified

If you have them set as "I-Joists" then you can use the following:

%width% x %depth% %type_name%

But that will only show the label in decimal inches.  If you want a completely custom set of framing annotations in fractional inches for all member types - I have a comprehensive macro package which I sell for $35.00

post-47-0-87439800-1460297589_thumb.jpg

All the labels in the above example are produced by my %Framing Labels% macro - except the headers & the  one that reads "2.5. x 11.875 I-Joist".  It can also be used to label the "Wall Details" if desired.

Do you have auto floor / ceiling framing turned on?

If you have them set as "I-Joists" then you can use the following:

%width% x %depth% %type_name%

But that will only show the label in decimal inches.  If you want a completely custom set of framing annotations in fractional inches for all member types - I have a comprehensive macro package which I sell for $35.00

attachicon.gifFraming Labels.JPG

All the labels in the above example are produced by my %Framing Labels% macro - except the headers & the  one that reads "2.5. x 11.875 I-Joist".  It can also be used to label the "Wall Details" if desired.

Joe, are you finding the arrow sticks better in X8 ??

Joe, are you finding the arrow sticks better in X8 ??

Yes, but I still prefer "Labels" in most cases.  Framing members all have Labels but only Beams and Posts have Defaults for the Labels.  I'm pretty sure I have requested Defaults  for all the other Framing Member Types.  But the more requests we make, the more likely we are to get results from CA.

By using a Label we can still add "Dumb Arrows" to clarify the intent.

You need to either delete the framing and re-frame the floors, or have auto framing on.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LKEDesign
    Newest Member
    LKEDesign

• By kylejmarsh
      Wondering if there's a way to drop the '0' which is generated in front of the schedule numbers. It adds size to my labels and most of the time there are less than 10 items so it wouldn't be confusing - but I haven't been able to find any options where we can omit this automatically generated zero.

Anybody have any tips or insight?

• By GoldenFeather
      Hello,

I am looking for a solution. I have CA X10. I am fairly new to the software.

I have a old house I am trying to replicate on a plan. The first floor has 2"x7.75" floor joists that are connected directly to the sill plate which is a wood block 5.75"W  x 7.75"H. 
      The wood block sits on top of a 8" CMU foundation wall.

There is a porch outside with the joists connected directly to the sill as well, BUT, it has a double rim joist (2) 2"x7.75"

I tried 2 things:
      1. I set the foundation to have a sill plate of 5.75"W  x 7.75"H. and the floor joists build on top of the sill.

Question 1: Can I tell the floor joists to build with the sill?

2. I set the foundation to have no sill and set the floor framing rim joist to 5.75"W  x 7.75"H.
      This worked accept for 1 thing BUT: when I build the porch outside it has a rim joist of 5.75"W  x 7.75"H

Question 2: Can lock the framing for 1 or multiple rooms on a floor so when building new rooms on that floor they have different floor framing?

My solution is to set the foundation to have no sill, and manually place the sill on the foundation wall using a floor beam and build the floors.

Am I doing this all wrong or am I on the rite track?

Thank You!
      GF

• By Designer100
      I would appreciate any help. Garage(plate stays same as house with high ceiling) needs to be 24" off grade with CMU Walls for flood plain to btm of house floor jsts. (automatic vents or break away walls.. Then house pier and bm at 54" finished floor off grade which is 36"+- above garage/stg slab. 
      All house is pier and beam (designed by engineer).I do not know why I cannot get house to show pier and beam all around outside etc. deck by media room and garage is surpose to be hip roof. I will have steps down to garage driveway.

Thanks,
    • By Pkbldr
      After hours of trial and and error, l am unable to generate floor framing for the second floor automatic or manual.
      If someone could discover why and point me in the right direction I will be eternally grateful.
      I am using the latest X8 on a surface pro 4 with I7 processor,8G Ram.
      Thank5,
      Toby
      4500_Floor Plan-Trial.plan
    • By Designer100
      In Prospective View the 2 story new construction is not showing floor jsts enclosed etc   Stair landing about 18" in not showing the wood floor to living area. small windows in Bathrooms are showing a horz. divided light and I cannot make it one light or verticle. This is a meterrian style home. the 2 story part is the first phase of the construction. and one story later. I am still working on the prelim. plans and will dress the front facade up later. Maybe a drive thru porte-co-chere on the front. Chief Architect x7.

any help would be appreciated. 
      Walker.Patrick 1.plan