X8 locking up

RL-inc

Would love too--

Is there a way to put a video card in a laptop?

Depends on the laptop, then what card you can switch to will depend on what socket the GPU uses. Then there is cost. FWIW-I've been having trouble with my 9150 and looked into getting a 970m or 980m and the cost was around $600 for the part. Well a new machine with a 970m and better processor can be had for as little as 12-1300. I'd  head over to notebookreview.com and find the forum for your machine to find out.

Might also be a good place to look into your issue.

I'm pretty sure my problems are hardware related but am also looking into checking the GPU- they have links to some tools over there for that.

One suggestion I saw somewhere was to use a special "GPU driver uninstall program" to deal with bad drivers and optimus.  Another thing I've seen is that that with Optimus the dGPU  still goes through the Intel card so I'd be checking GPU performance with some software.

One thing with laptops with a discrete graphics card is to make sure that the power plan is set to maximum performance. I believe there is also a similar setting in the graphics card management software. Most laptops will actually switch between the integrated & discrete graphics in order to save on power. Setting the power plans to maximum performance for all modes , plug or battery, will override this feature.

Graham

Rob,

Sorry you are having trouble getting your discrete graphics card to be recognized. I wish that they would make switchable graphics more user friendly. I have had the same issues getting laptops setup internally for testing and the solutions are never consistent nor do they make sense in a lot of cases. One thing I found is a good starting point is to make sure you have a clean install of the current drivers and software for both the integrated intel chipset and the Nvidia graphics card. Both graphics drivers need to be current in a lot of cases before the graphics switching is enabled.

Regardless Chief should not be locking up when you are using the Intel chipset. Could you either post or send to tech support the information on what intel chipset you are using? Also please include what driver version your intel chipset is currently using.

Thanks

I have gone through all of the suggestions that I have received from this forum- thanks to all for the well thought out input.

I have had my computer professional look through the situation as well and updated all drivers associated with the Nvidia card.

We have it currently to the point that it will run X8 and create 3d models of some of my more basic designs.

However when shadows are added to the views - lock up.

I am in the middle of trying to get out on vacation but will send tech support my information and a overview of the situation.

(When i talked to tech support they directed me to Nvidia- Nvidia has tried to help me with the situation somewhat but no real resolutions.)

The latest test we have tried is this: delete and remove all Nvidia items. Then clean install of the recently released nvidia driver 364.72 but using custom install. Only check the video driver. Unless you're a gamer the other stuff is not needed. I've said this before....so far so good. I'll post an update tomorrow as well.

The latest test we have tried is this: delete and remove all Nvidia items. Then clean install of the recently released nvidia driver 364.72 but using custom install. Only check the video driver. Unless you're a gamer the other stuff is not needed. I've said this before....so far so good. I'll post an update tomorrow as well.

Pleased to here that this procedure seems to be resulting in some positive results. As you mention it's important to select the "Clean Install" option in the Nvidia setup. If memory serves me correctly that option is not always obvious at first glance. Also, the option to just install the basic driver is probably best when troubleshooting, you can always add back the other features once things are working properly. Please keep us posted and hoping things continue to improve.

Graham

Well, like other ideas, this worked for a day. This morning the card / driver is not working properly. There are no problems with X8 on our identical laptop that driver 362.00 was never updated.