Gap Between Deck And Porch

ladycoralie

Go to solution Solved by dshall,

Hi all,

For people who have helped me before, a big thank you and I hope that you can see that I have made some progress with my plans, I've even built a roof. :D I know it's not perfect, but at least I am getting there.

Well, the problem I am currently experiencing is a gap in the floor between the deck and the porch that are adjoining. Is this to be expected in a 3D view or is there something I can do to resolve this please?

Cheers

Coralie

post-4721-0-10090700-1449981033_thumb.jpg

Coralie,

You will hear this a lot here, but please post your plan. It is simply guess work for people to try to resolve without being able to see what you have drawn and why you have a problem. Many will just skip the thread and you will be less likely to receive help from those most qualified to answer.

Is it possible the plan view gap really doesn't exist?  By that I mean, is the slab elevation and the deck elevation different?  If so, that might explain what appears to be the gap in your image.  If the elevations are the same, then there's something else going on and it will remain a mystery until ......

Thanks Guys. I tried to post the plan yesterday without any success. I've tried both the basic uploader as well as the flash 9 one. I've got Windows 10 and Flash has been updated. Sometimes I've had success with it and sometimes not. It seems to be hit or miss with me when I try to upload. I'll give it another go and cross my fingers.

The Porch room and the Deck room don't play nice together - for instance if you change the Porch to a Deck, the two rooms "heal" and the issue goes away. The only way I know how to "fix" the problem is to define the invisible wall between the two rooms as near-zero in width (say 1/16"), which will give you this:

post-95-0-24852700-1450100391_thumb.png

OK,

I don't have a solution, but perhaps a hint as to what is going on. I see that the deck is the thing misaligned, not so much the porch. I looked under, and see where ledger board cuts wall where problem is happening. See photo attached. CA is also complaining about wall alignment issues between floors, but don't think in this area.

Is this one of those occasions where you need to manually frame ledger across, as this would be the norm? Not sure, but pretty sure it is way harder to connect the deck joists to a ledger inside the house, in real life. Pretty easy in CA though.

I'll let the smarter folks see if this might be part of the problem, or not.

post-489-0-20965200-1450106242_thumb.jpg

I keep thinking of stuff and come back to look. I'm not sure why, but you have a ceiling showing over porch, and maybe you plan something there, not sure. That has an auto-generated wall over the upper porch beam, which was not aligned with the porch beam. I selected room, unchecked roof and ceiling over this room, deleted outer wall toward deck and used a room divider. The other thing I saw was that in plan view, you have display of upper pony showing, and I changed to show lower, as that is further toward the deck. This get rid of the gaps.  

What I can't figure out, and maybe someone might have a better idea is what is that white rail on outside of the concrete of the porch is? I can't seem to make that go away. On unmodified plan, you will see where this turns the corner, which also may account for some of the problem. With what I did, it extends into deck area. No idea......

post-489-0-74096100-1450114589_thumb.jpg

OK,

That works as I just did other side. Uncheck roof and ceiling. Go to upper floor and remove auto generated walls. Change all three walls that are connected to porch and deck, and change them to show "lower wall" in plan and align pony wall at outer surface. Change wall between to divider, that now you can see where the outer most surface actually is, and it works.

post-489-0-65270200-1450115693_thumb.jpg

post-489-0-58992700-1450115726_thumb.jpg

The white strip on the outside of the post to beam wall is the exterior finish of the wall you used, just change the wall type to a fence, or move the slab an inch further out by using a p-solid slab and removing the floor in the porch room.

That's it Perry, that part was bugging me, but otherwise, the gaps, I think was a factor of aligning the porch to the shown "outer upper" surface in plan, which was incorrect. The gap then was the subsequent difference between lower pony stone and upper stucco.

This was tricky.  I cannot explain why.  Twice it did not behave as expected.  However here is a vid showing how I got it to work.

https://youtu.be/8i4DsPz3jMM

This was tricky.  I cannot explain why.  Twice it did not behave as expected.  However here is a vid showing how I got it to work.

https://youtu.be/8i4DsPz3jMM

Hi dshall, and thanks for the vid. I eventually got it to work after a couple of goes. I'll tell you what I did, because I could not make it work exactly as you.

I followed you up to making the interior wall a 'Copy Thin', then tried to reduce it by removing the layers as you did to 1/16". I couldn't do it exactly as you with deleting - maybe because I have x7? Perhaps, but not sure why.

I then deleted the copy in the dialogue box twice, and it turned into a room divider!

Then I was able to drag the room divider to the deck and Voila - The porch and deck aligned beautifully.

For the other side, I followed the same steps (in retrospect, I probably could have just copied and pasted the room divider I just made over to the other side) but as I couldn't change the 'Interior Wall Thin' by deleting twice again as I got an error message telling me that it was already being used in my plan. So I copied that wall again and called it 'Interior 4 Copy Thin Copy", then deleted twice and it changed to a room divider.

I was then able to drag it into position and form the deck and porch together.

I've attached some pics to show you how I went about it.

Thanks again. You've been a great help mate.

Cheers and thanks

Coralie.

post-4721-0-20890600-1450577913_thumb.jpg

post-4721-0-21986000-1450577945_thumb.jpg

post-4721-0-54347500-1450577971_thumb.jpg

post-4721-0-77959400-1450578020_thumb.jpg

post-4721-0-53915600-1450578040_thumb.jpg

post-4721-0-40160000-1450578057_thumb.jpg

The Porch room and the Deck room don't play nice together - for instance if you change the Porch to a Deck, the two rooms "heal" and the issue goes away. The only way I know how to "fix" the problem is to define the invisible wall between the two rooms as near-zero in width (say 1/16"), which will give you this:

attachicon.gifdeckporch.PNG

Hi rlackore. Thanks for the help. I made this work for me by defining the invisible wall between porch and deck as a room divider, because it was showing up on the plan as icf stucco, then made it 1/16". I dragged it down to meet the deck and with a bit of fiddling around it worked. Thanks mate. That's another way to do it as well as dshall's. Good to know all these various methods for the future.

Cheers and thanks

Coralie

OK,

I don't have a solution, but perhaps a hint as to what is going on. I see that the deck is the thing misaligned, not so much the porch. I looked under, and see where ledger board cuts wall where problem is happening. See photo attached. CA is also complaining about wall alignment issues between floors, but don't think in this area.

Is this one of those occasions where you need to manually frame ledger across, as this would be the norm? Not sure, but pretty sure it is way harder to connect the deck joists to a ledger inside the house, in real life. Pretty easy in CA though.

I'll let the smarter folks see if this might be part of the problem, or not.

I keep thinking of stuff and come back to look. I'm not sure why, but you have a ceiling showing over porch, and maybe you plan something there, not sure. That has an auto-generated wall over the upper porch beam, which was not aligned with the porch beam. I selected room, unchecked roof and ceiling over this room, deleted outer wall toward deck and used a room divider. The other thing I saw was that in plan view, you have display of upper pony showing, and I changed to show lower, as that is further toward the deck. This get rid of the gaps.  

What I can't figure out, and maybe someone might have a better idea is what is that white rail on outside of the concrete of the porch is? I can't seem to make that go away. On unmodified plan, you will see where this turns the corner, which also may account for some of the problem. With what I did, it extends into deck area. No idea......

Hi Keithhe,

I will have to give this a go and see how it works. For the moment, I have resolved this from rlackore and dshall's advice. I've been following the Cottage Chic Building Project to design this and learning as I go. I'm going to have a look at the pony wall issue too. I want the upper walls to be icf stucco on the top floors. I haven't really got to the part where I design the top floor rooms yet and what to put up there. It may change because, when I get to that part in the Cottage Chic Building Project it will no doubt include this. Not sure how to realign the porch and deck other than what the program does at the moment. I'm still working on fine tuning stuff.

Cheers and thanks

Coralie

The white strip on the outside of the post to beam wall is the exterior finish of the wall you used, just change the wall type to a fence, or move the slab an inch further out by using a p-solid slab and removing the floor in the porch room.

Hi DRAWZILLA,

I know this is going to sound silly, but I don't know how to find the post and beam wall to change it to a fence. I'm also unsure of how to move the slab without making  the whole porch move or what a p-solid slab is. Sorry. I'm still at the tutorial stage.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep working on it.

Cheers and thanks

Coralie

Guys, did I miss something here? See posts 10 and 11. She was aligning the porch to the "upper" stucco wall as that was what was default display in plan view. I simply changed to lower wall (stone), aligned porch to that wall. Also, both porch rooms had ceiling and roof over selected, I turned those off, so the auto walls above would not generate. Then I used invisible wall between porch and deck and no more gap. The gap, I think, was the difference between upper and lower walls.  

The post to beam wall is simply the outer most wall (side wall if you will) of the porch rooms. The posts are the 4x4 columns the beams are the thing sitting on top of the posts. To select the wall, just click it and go to the DBX in either plan or a 3d view.

Hi Perry and Keith. Yes I'm still trying to figure things out. Not to worry though, I'm sure I will get it in the end. Just takes me a bit of a while to absorb it all. I find I have to go over and over things to truly get it. So I did end up resolving the gap problem, just wasn't sure how to change the finish on the outer porch slab. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it very much.