Speed it up please..... please.... this is ridiculous...

dshall

I left Revit for Archicad as Revit used to slow to a crawl with bigger models. Archicad was way better but that one too became slow at a certain point. I then tried Quadro level cards, which helps, but my point is that Revit certainly has its share of slowness.

Interesting,  Dave said he never had to wait for Revit..........  I am not sure if I feel any better knowing that.

I really wanted to like Revit for a number of reasons, but although there were features and a workflow that I really miss, it has imho some serious misgivings. For one it lacks, in lack of a better term, 'precision'. Things just doesn't feel 'tight' especially when working with things that are not plumb or level. 2D tools are also weak compared to most other tools and it is painful to do details. The Family concept is both promising and advanced, but it is also tedious and really way behind the libraries from Chief if you are in residential. And yes, it at times becomes extremely slow. One of those tools I have a feeling I may revisit, but not for 5-6 years.

Scott, you gone for 2 weeks?

I got Joe coming to see me tomorrow, we will talk about you.

Yeah,  back the 25th,  Joe's coming to see you?  That's neat,  Joe is a good guy,  if you are lucky you will get to meet his wife Kris,,,,,  I just know I spelled that wrong....  should of been a "C".

Interesting Thread: I've never used Revit other than I few days demo. But I've used most others & at some point and have seen these delays in some fashion in about all of them.

IMNOHO I think it depends on the configuration of your machine. In these programs, graphics is so CPU intensive that it doesn't leave room for anything else to run.SO -- if you have a lot of background services, everything is going to slow down as all of them have to take their turn.  I don't think that multi -cores help much as most software services are not written to take advantage of them.

Macs have a bunch of background services running.

And the older your machine gets, more and more services accumulate in which you may not be aware. So the fastest, most consistent machines are going to be those that have only a few programs and keep the servies to a minimum. % cpu utiliztion doesn't tell you much as the CAD program should hog most of that anyway. You need to look at time slices and that's near impossible except for a expert on performance.

IOW, I think only Chief or someone equivalent could look into this and even then -- how would they know what's accumulated on our older machines?

The best approach is to keep your machine "lean and mean" - minimize programs you don't absolutely need, clean-up the registry and your drives and keep services to a minimum..Delete or turn off anything not needed.

And as always, if you don't know what it does -- don't touch it -- get a expert.

While your in the neighborhood, go see St. Andrews, Take a pic and just say , you played it.

That trip was back in 1999,  that course is a cow pasture.  We are doing the South Coast this year.  Devon and Cornwall.  Watching the Masters right now,  jeez,  what  I would give to play that course.......   probably both of my kids and maybe my wife......  what a course.....   every year when I see it on tv,  it is so beautiful.

David

Your graphics card has a rating of 998 where as my old card I am using is 3025 (its due for replacement shortly).

That would explain the slowness, particulalry with win8.1. As we upgrade the software it puts additional stress and requirements on our hardware which quickly makes the hardware obsolete.