A method to convert mouldings to solids

Alaskan_Son

Is there any method of converting a moulding to a primitive solid?  Seems like it should be an easy thing to do...select a moulding, convert to solid.  Am I missing something or is there really no way to do this? 

I don't think so,  you can convert the molding to a symbol, but a symbol you cannot convert to a primitive solid.......  interesting question,  why would you want to convert a molding to a solid,  it seems that by doing that,  you are dumbing down the molding........  but maybe you want to take the molding along with a symbol and convert all into a primitive solid.....  I am just musing....

To answer the question,  I do not think you can convert a molding into a primative solid.

Mike,

You can place a molding profile, convert it to a polyline solid & set the thickness.

Then you can convert that to a solid.  Scott was wrong again ;)

Ya, I guess I should have clarified.  See my last post above.  The functionality I'm after would require the ability to create a moulding path not just a straight line. 

Mike,

You can place a molding profile, convert it to a polyline solid & set the thickness.

Then you can convert that to a solid.  Scott was wrong again ;)

I swear,  Joe is always busting my chops,  notice that Joe talked about a MOLDING PROFILE,  he did not talk about a MOLDING,  so Joe is moving the line in the sand......  you  lost this one Joe.

The question was can we convert a molding to a solid.

I swear,  Joe is always busting my chops,  notice that Joe talked about a MOLDING PROFILE,  he did not talk about a MOLDING,  so Joe is moving the line in the sand......  you  lost this one Joe.

The question was can we convert a molding to a solid.

"View section camera of the molding and make a cad detail of it, then connect the cad detail to be polyline and paste it back in to section view. After that, convert it to p solid with depth you like and make it a solid. It works with 2 or 3 extra clicks only comparrd to your assumed workflow."

This what I was typing before I checked the new posts and seen that Joe posted it right.

"View section camera of the molding and make a cad detail of it, then connect the cad detail to be polyline and paste it back in to section view. After that, convert it to p solid with depth you like and make it a solid. It works with 2 or 3 extra clicks only comparrd to your assumed workflow."

This what I was typing before I checked the new posts and seen that Joe posted it right.

That works,  but you lose the ability to have a ROUND CROSS SECTION AREA for the molding that is converted to a solid.

Wait, wait.. I am assuming that Scott was telling me a command that gives the polyline without getting in to the backlip crossection process . Am I right? you know, I some times not understand the tough English. Or else that method doesn't have any limitations for any type of crossection. .....OK I got it, it has that limitation and more.

Wait, wait.. I am assuming that Scott was telling me a command that gives the polyline without getting in to the backlip crossection process . Am I right? you know, I some times not understand the tough English. Or else that method doesn't have any limitations for any type of crossection. .....OK I got it, it has that limitation and more.

No, I was not saying that.

There are other programs that can convert exported surface geometry into solids. You can then import the geometry back into Chief as a symbol.

IMO Chief needs better ways to import geometry than what it has now. I would like to have the ability to import symbol geometry into Chief at it's exact coordinates and elevation from the other program.