How To Draw A Rooftop Balcony

michaelgia

Go to solution Solved by dshall,

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the best method to create the following rooftop balcony?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/83/22/29/8322298701c087673165e419b0191587.jpg

I'm able to plug away with skylights or holes in roof but I always have a long drawn out trial and error session that sort of works in the end. I was hoping for the "right" way to do this.

The problems I run into is, missing materials, railings that disappear, etc...

Thanks in advance!

...but I always have a long drawn out trial and error session that sort of works in the end.

Welcome to the club.

I downloaded your plan and it looks pretty good to me. What specific problem are you (do you think you are) having?

And why do you want the model correct? For a 3D presentation? For an accurate section with all framing its proper location? Other?

I'm asking because it looks like you are pretty much there for your 3D presentation. Sections and framing are another matter that may require more manual work or a manually drawn section to CAD.

Way too much fiddling around. I feel I'm approaching it wrong so I was hoping someone would have some insight on the proper way to do this sort of thing.

That is, should I build a room in the attic and cut a hole in the roof over it?

Or

Maybe put a slab with a railing and then build the roof?

Or

Build and entire floor with just the one room with a porch and then build the roof to come down and sit on the walls of the floor below?

Looking for wisdom and experience.

:)

Here's a quick try using a terrain retaining wall converted to a railing. I used the picture that you posted as my reference.

I modified your roof hole so it would cover the log walls. There are some other issues that I have not addressed, as it's getting late; but I think it can be cleaned up to work well.
It's one way to retain room definition while having a railing appear above a roof. It would be simpler to pull the roof back, and bring the railing walls up inside the roof plane.

post-62-0-68783100-1430800946_thumb.jpg

Here's a quick try using a terrain retaining wall converted to a railing. I used the picture that you posted as my reference.

I modified your roof hole so it would cover the log walls. There are some other issues that I have not addressed, as it's getting late; but I think it can be cleaned up to work well.

It's one way to retain room definition while having a railing appear above a roof. It would be simpler to pull the roof back, and bring the railing walls up inside the roof plane.

I have never had a problem creating a roof top deck......  and I did not use a terrain retaining wall.  So Bill,  how & why would I use a terrain retaining wall converted to a railing to create a  roof top deck?  

And Michaelgia,  why and how did a terrain retaining wall converted to a railing help you solve your problem?

Not really looking to solve a problem more than I am trying to find the most efficient way to do a rooftop deck without the need to constantly fiddle with wall surfaces and railings disappearing etc...

I keep checking your YouTube page Scott in the hopes that you'll one day do a video on this. I've never seen anyone do this nor Chief for that matter.

It's not as easy as it looks. For me at least. Part of the problem is getting your deck to come to the edge of the exterior wall that is below, and get a railing to sit on that edge. As well as the railings that rake on top of the roof on both sides of the deck. We build thes in the field by modifying the trusses to create the opening and then run 2x10's that sit on the exterior wall.

I tried once by building the trusses first. Had a bad time..,

....... Part of the problem is getting your deck to come to the edge of the exterior wall that is below, and get a railing to sit on that edge. As well as the railings that rake on top of the roof on both sides of the deck. We build thes in the field by modifying the trusses to create the opening and then run 2x10's that sit on the exterior wall.

You need to be a bit more specific with the issue.  I think you did a pretty darn good job.  What do I think is wrong with your plan?

1.   There is no edge to your deck.....  I know how to fix this....  I do not like the result in plan view but I can fix that too

2.   Not crazy about the handrail that sits on your roof.....  I would rather a wall there that projects higher than roof surface  (waterproofing issues) 

If you will be a bit more specific with 3 areas that did not work,  I will see if I can do a vid......  there is some pretty good stuff here........  

Hi Scott,

I do think its easier to just use "roof cuts wall at bottom" is the easiest way to do this, but I've been using the retaining wall definition in various situations where the wall have a tendency to become unstable (changing, or disappearing spontaneously). I like them because they remain stable and don't have unwanted artifacts.

I do agree with your analysis of the situation, and it is certainly easier and cleaner to bring the walls up inside the roof opening, as I stated earlier.

Hi Scott,

I do think its easier to just use "roof cuts wall at bottom" is the easiest way to do this, but I've been using the retaining wall definition in various situations where the wall have a tendency to become unstable (changing, or disappearing spontaneously). I like them because they remain stable and don't have unwanted artifacts.

Hi Bill,  I suppose I am  confused as to where you are using that particular wall.  Are you using that wall on the sides of the deck?  You were not specific as to where you used the walls and you did not post a plan.  As soon as I finish this little thing I am doing,  I will do a vid.....  I think there should be some good things that come out of the vid.

Thanks Scott for even considering my humble topic.

In answer to your questions;

1. I would like an edge to the deck that would protrude just past my brick wall and then I could cap it off in aluminum.

2. We actually put the railing right on the deck and not on the roof as in my first photo, but when I try to move my railing on either side, onto the deck then my walls explode.

Try it. Move a side railing 6 inches towards the inside of the deck.

So basically it's a deck that has 3 exterior walls around it and has a roof that just overhangs on all three sides by about 4 inches.

Here's a pic from the plan file...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m595ikurl9ib3si/rooftop%20deck%20overview.pdf?dl=0.

The pic shows the roof done pretty well. The railing needs to sit on the deck completely and the front edge of the deck should be thicker (the thickness of the floor system).

Maybe I need to try Joe's suggestion and build it from a floor and not an attic level.

Michael,

Make the railing outside of the "deck area" and check it as "No Room Definition".  Then you can move it into place without effecting the existing walls.  Works like a charm.

Sometimes you just have to ask the right questions - or at least let us know what you really want. ;)

Hey thanks a million Scott! Awesome video! Actually I really love the way you bowed out the front of the balcony. I will use it in my plan. Simple feature but it looks really sweet. Thanks for that. I hope to be building a few of these this year.

I think what I learned in the vid is to only use walls to define the room(balcony) and make the front wall invisible. Then draw a railing from moldings so that it allows for greater control over placement. That was key. Very simple, neat and tidy approach. Thank you thank you!

I would make an entire Floor to use instead of the Attic.  That way I could define that area as a Balcony with Railings.  Then I would just Lower the Roof and edit the Roof Planes as needed.

This is the ideal way to do it.

The truth is...you will need stairs and a finished space to get to the roof top balcony. One the program knows that you have a third floor, the rest is cake.

It's also probably better not to call it a deck but rather a balcony. Otherwise it's going to create all kind of deck posts and stuff that you don't need or want.