Zero Experience - Can I Model an A-Frame in CA?

hamcol88

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in renting Chief Architect Home Design Pro to try it out and tinker with a future home design, but as someone with zero training or experience in architecture, engineering, building, etc., I am not sure if it is practical. Apologies if I have missed a similar question already posted on this forum, but I wasn't able to find anything similar.

I am currently in dream stage and saving money for a future small home on a budget build in the woods. It will be a pretty simple a-frame, roughly 1200 square feet. For reference, the interior layout of this is really similar to what I am envisioning: Cozy A-Frame Getaway Minutes from Nelson Ledges - Cabins for Rent in Southington, Ohio, United States - Airbnb

I am trying to determine rough costs to make a realistic budget and determine if things like a basement, a potential second story loft dormer situation for a small bathroom and closet, covering all surfaces with knotty pine paneling :), and a deck will be within my budget. So to try to start answering these questions, I would like to get some rough initial design options. I also just want to have some fun playing around with the materials for fireplaces, walls, etc. in the kind of space I am envisioning. 

My questions for you are: 

1. Is the learning curve unrealistic for someone with absolutely zero training? I work a demanding full-time job, however I am willing to put in a reasonable amount of time learning how to use the program, but would like to generally know what I'm doing without being constantly stuck within a month or so. Is this unrealistic? 

2. I have read on this forum that the program does not lend itself to modelling a-frames. Given that I am 100% committed to building an a-frame, would this program not be practical for my purposes? I do want to play around with window placement on the angled roof/wall, and it sounds like that is a pain.

3. Are there templates you can download/purchase for a basic a-frame house that can then be tinkered with? I haven't found anything like this. 

4. Is modelling something like the a-frame linked above something that anyone can do with a bit of dedication, or is this something only a professional could do? ( Cozy A-Frame Getaway Minutes from Nelson Ledges - Cabins for Rent in Southington, Ohio, United States - Airbnb )

I really appreciate any input that you all may have, and thank you for your time!

Emily

1. Is the learning curve unrealistic for someone with absolutely zero training? I work a demanding full-time job, however I am willing to put in a reasonable amount of time learning how to use the program, but would like to generally know what I'm doing without being constantly stuck within a month or so. Is this unrealistic? 

-This is absolutely something you could do. But why? Yes it will be difficult and without any Architecture, engineering or building construction knowledge, very difficult. Mechanically, you can learn some tools easily to make a floor plan and probably get the 3d model to work reasonably well but are you the right person to do this task? Based on what you wrote above, my opinion is no. 

2. I have read on this forum that the program does not lend itself to modelling a-frames. Given that I am 100% committed to building an a-frame, would this program not be practical for my purposes? I do want to play around with window placement on the angled roof/wall, and it sounds like that is a pain.

-It is not very difficult to make a 3d model of an A frame. It would present some challenges due to how the program displays items due to how the camera cuts through the building for a plan view but fairly easy to work around or use some of the built in tools to achieve. 

3. Are there templates you can download/purchase for a basic a-frame house that can then be tinkered with? I haven't found anything like this. 

-I am not aware of any.

4. Is modelling something like the a-frame linked above something that anyone can do with a bit of dedication, or is this something only a professional could do? ( Cozy A-Frame Getaway Minutes from Nelson Ledges - Cabins for Rent in Southington, Ohio, United States - Airbnb )

-Are you in an area of the world that requires mechanical heat or cooling? From a building science standpoint, I do not like what the large triangular open space of an A frame building offers. If you rely on passive cooling only, the building shape could work well if you are able to draw in cool air. If not, you are collecting a lot of very warm air at the upper floor. If you are cooling mechanically, you need to push that air back down and are using a lot of energy to do so. If you are wanting to draw this project on your own because you are thinking this is a more economical solution to hiring a professional, then you are budget minded. An A Frame building is  a long term uneconomical solution for energy. 

If you are wanting to be the designer of your project because you feel like you are the best person to design your space, that could be true. In my experience, as a design professional for 4 decades, very few people are great at designing spaces (and especially "space planning"). There are a few people that are pretty good and then there are a lot of people that downright suck. Those that fall in the latter two categories are often professionals but more often "builders" or non professionals. 

And now I will spend some time checking out the seams on my flame retardant suit while the flamethrowers are getting fueled.

Hi there and thanks so much for your input, it is helpful. I should clarify that my primary goal for using the program is "tinkering". When the time comes, probably not for at least two years, I will engage professionals for the final design. With the building being overall fairly straightforward, I really just want to play around and be able to visualize some of my ideas so that I can communicate them to a professional more clearly when the time comes, and also to ask the right questions along the way. I fully accept that there are professionals who will be far better at design than I am, and I know I should listen to them. I would really just like a tool to help me communicate my ideas when the time comes, and to help visualize some design aspects. 

56 minutes ago, Gawdzira said:

It would present some challenges due to how the program displays items due to how the camera cuts through the building for a plan view but fairly easy to work around or use some of the built in tools to achieve. 

With regard to this, given that I want to use the program to visualize the space, would you be able to expand on this? Specifically, what the challenge is and does it affect the 3D visualization aspect, and also just a quick reference to what tools I can learn about to mitigate? 

It only takes a bit of outside-of-the box thinking in regards to defining rooms. A bit of trial and error using invisible walls to define the rooms and it's pretty simple to figure out what works and what doesn't. Otherwise, it's just a matter of properly using roof planes, ceiling planes, and skylights. Is it easy for a newbie? Probably not. 

image.thumb.png.5451f47b832a7a177d9b33f3be8e6eee.png