door label offset

Gawdzira

Both of these doors have a Y offset of 12" Is this the way you prefer it to happen? It seems like the offset relates to the door/room direction rather than the door swing direction (the space between them is a hallway but none of the rooms have been described in the dbx. yet. I would prefer the label to go where D08 has landed. This is in X15. Was this changed in X16?

Quick poll:

A. This is good.

B. This is less than good.

C. What is a door label?

image.thumb.png.9da6fe3d777a8943a6b169714fd1233e.png

D.  It is what it is. 

As far as I can tell, positive Y is always on the right side of the wall going from start to end and positive X is always away from the wall start.  If you make sure that the start and end indicators are turned on in preferences, this is more obvious.  This is why Rene's suggestion of reversing the wall can help.

The good thing about this rule is that it works for all door and window types, whether they are hinged or not.  I think I would prefer it if instead of X and Y they called it "distance along wall" and "distance from wall" though.  X and Y seem pretty ambiguous.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2024 at 3:26 PM, Gawdzira said:

door/room direction

As @Renerabbitt has stated, its the wall layer direction. The wall layer direction not only plays a role in the label, but also if you have doors with handles only on one side. I have closet doors (ball catch type) with dummy handles only on the door exterior. To have it show properly in 3D as well as show properly in my schedules, the exterior of the door (with the handles) seems to always be on the exterior of the wall layers side - which makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2024 at 10:49 AM, DBCooper said:

As far as I can tell, positive Y is always on the right side of the wall going from start to end and positive X is always away from the wall start.  If you make sure that the start and end indicators are turned on in preferences, this is more obvious.  This is why Rene's suggestion of reversing the wall can help.

The good thing about this rule is that it works for all door and window types, whether they are hinged or not.  I think I would prefer it if instead of X and Y they called it "distance along wall" and "distance from wall" though.  X and Y seem pretty ambiguous.

All good stuff! So much so that I added the following to my CA Tips which I wanted to share here:

Door and Window Label Offsets & Sides (affecting materials & hardware):

CA’s convention of offsets in the X and Y directions should probably be "distance along wall" for X and "distance from wall" for Y since their positive direction is determined by the “start” to “end” direction of the wall. All walls, whether exterior or interior, have an interior and exterior side and follow CA’s convention of the exterior side being on the left as you travel from the start to the end of the wall. That is why exterior walls are drawn in a clockwise direction. This allows CA to orient the exterior cladding on the outside of the building and allows us to specify and manage different materials for each side’s surface.

Reversing Layers of the wall also changes its direction from start to end. The Reverse Layers edit button “flips the orientation” (per CA) of the interior and exterior layers of a selected wall. It actually flips the walls in both directions (vertically and horizontally), which is the same as rotating the wall 180° which changes its direction from start to end. Its wall type definition is not affected by this change. Neither is the location, hinge, swing, opening direction, etc. of doors and windows in the wall. But the interior and exterior sides of doors and windows in the wall are exchanged which affects their materials and hardware sides and their label offsets.

EDITED! NEW VERSION BELOW!

Feel free to pass on any edits.

Best,

Charles

46 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

which is the same as rotating the wall 180° which changes its direction from start to end.

i would clarify, this isnt the same, because if you had a door or window in the wall then that door or window would be in new location if you rotated the wall in place.
also would clarify 

It actually flips the walls in both directions (vertically and horizontally)

this is in plan view, one could confuse "vertically" for top elevation to bottom elevation

32 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

i would clarify, this isnt the same, because if you had a door or window in the wall then that door or window would be in new location if you rotated the wall in place.
also would clarify 

this is in plan view, one could confuse "vertically" for top elevation to bottom elevation

Yessir. Thx!

36 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:
1 hour ago, CharlesVolz said:

which is the same as rotating the wall 180° which changes its direction from start to end.

also would clarify 

"Neither is the location, hinge, swing, opening direction, etc. of doors and windows in the wall. " handles it, but I will reorder/edit.

Thx Rene!

Charles

Revision1.

This is a mouthful:

Door and Window Label Offsets & Sides (affecting materials & hardware):

CA’s convention of offsets in the X and Y directions should probably be "distance along wall" for X and "distance from wall" for Y since their positive direction is determined by the “start” to “end” direction of the wall. All walls, whether exterior or interior, have an interior and exterior side and follow CA’s convention of the exterior side being on the left as you travel from the start to the end of the wall. That is why exterior walls are drawn in a clockwise direction. This allows CA to orient the exterior cladding on the outside of the building and allows us to specify and manage different materials for each side’s surface.

Reversing Layers of the wall also changes its direction from start to end. The Reverse Layers edit button  “flips the orientation” (per CA) of the interior and exterior layers of a selected wall. It actually flips the walls in both directions (vertically and horizontally in plan view), which is the same as the wall rotating 180° (sans the doors and windows) which changes its direction from start to end. Its wall type definition is not affected by this change. Neither is the location, hinge, swing, opening direction, etc. of doors and windows in the wall. But the interior and exterior sides of doors and windows in the wall are exchanged which affects their materials and hardware sides and their label offsets.