Separation lines in exterior walls with different interior finish

mprovost129

Is there a way to remove the wall separation lines on the elevations where 2 walls with different interior attributes are connecting? The program is seeing this as 2 different wall types, but the entire wall is the same except 1 has drywall and 1 doesn't. I would make them the same wall, but then the sections don't show correctly.

image.thumb.png.4840d8f9a1752a9168025f84d051cf39.png

If the exterior layers are the same and aligned, the material should blend seamlessly. Have you carefully checked the alignment and materials?

I can take a look quickly if you post your plan file or a download link to the plan file. Remember, the file must be closed when sending the file.

10 minutes ago, robdyck said:

the material should blend seamlessly

Rob,

Do you know if duplicate materials in plan also create the issue?

Jim

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

If the exterior layers are the same and aligned, the material should blend seamlessly. Have you carefully checked the alignment and materials?

I can take a look quickly if you post your plan file or a download link to the plan file. Remember, the file must be closed when sending the file.

The only difference is that 1 wall has drywall on the interior layer, and the other doesn't. I realize that they are 2 different wall types, but all the materials are the same except the interior drywall. Is there a way to force them to blend?

image.thumb.png.0ab37761a32c7e1a496d4575ffe90170.png

I did a quick test plan and an unable to replicate your vertical line.  I just broke a part of an exterior wall and made a segment of it like your scheme, same but no drywall inside.

Something else is happening and we cannot help without your plan.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 132850.png

Screenshot 2024-06-13 132920.png

Your plan has lots, and lots, of duplicate materials.  Open your plan materials dialog and merge the ones with the same names.  I merged the ones called "pearl grey" and the extra wall lines disappeared.

29 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Your plan has lots, and lots, of duplicate materials. 

Related question --  Anybody know why duplicate materials show up?  I don't really create extra materials -- at least knowingly -- but they seem to appear on their own.  Concrete for example.

Thanks, Jim

7 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

Related question --  Anybody know why duplicate materials show up?  I don't really create extra materials -- at least knowingly -- but they seem to appear on their own.  Concrete for example.

I can't validate either because I'm too lazy to dig into it right now, but I think it could also be from bringing in a library item with a "duplicate" material? It could very well be the eyedropper painting tool like Gene said as well. Either way I always seem to end up with duplicate matching materials in my plans too.

I looked at the 3 different "drywall" materials I had in a plan.  2 were identical and 1 different as far as I could tell.  Allowing multiples of same material name makes things a bit confusing.

Jim

5 minutes ago, JKEdmo said:

I looked at the 3 different "drywall" materials I had in a plan.  2 were identical and 1 different as far as I could tell.  Allowing multiples of same material name makes things a bit confusing.

This is very true. I think I need to go into my template and purge & merge materials so I have a cleaner slate to start with.

I think if you make any changes to the material in a plan and then paint it from the library, then you will get a duplicate.  Changing the material in a plan does not change the library material.

Or if you make changes to a material and then copy something from one plan to another, then you will get a duplicate.  Changing the material in one plan does not change it in any other plans.

This also means that if you open up an old plan and then paint a new library material that it might be different then the old material giving you a duplicate.  Or copy something from an old plan to a new plan.  Or...

I would be that there are a lot of other ways to get duplicate materials.

As far as I can tell, Chief doesn't really care about the name of the material and it just looks at all of the settings to see if anything is actually different.  This is completely opposite of how it handles things like layers where it only cares about the name and ignores all of the other settings.

This is why the purge and merge tools are the only way to keep your plan materials sane.