Foundation Plan

wesdutka

Forgive me as I'm new to this.

I'm doing a plan with a walk-out basement.   The basement is developed but has bearing walls to support the floor joists for floor above.  I create a "Lower Floor Plan" (basement showing windows, door, wall both normal and bearing and everything else you would see that you normally see on the "Main Floor".   I know how to do this and is on Floor 0.

My problem begins is that I ultimately want to a separate "Foundation Plan" that shows only footings and concrete foundation walls and pads without showing any of the other stuff shown on the "Lower Floor Plan" (Floor 0).   I did create pony walls  for my walk-out basement exterior walls specifically where the walls steps to react to grade change.   

I have tried to create a Layer Set  and called it "Foundation Plan" and turn off everything and that works fine but when I go to set the exterior pony walls to show the lower wall (foundation wall) this change affects the drawings in other Layer Sets such as my  "Lower Floor Plan" or Floor 0 and shows a foundation wall without windows shown.

I'm looking for a easy solution...my work around so far has been just to save the plan as something else and create a foundation plan I want on floor 0  before sending it to my layout...I know this isn't the best method.

Any thoughts on this?  I would have posted the plan but it's over the 14MB max size allowed.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks...understood but when I change my exterior pony wall to display lower wall or the 8" foundation wall then when I go back to my other saved plan view it changes it there as well instead of leaving the exterior pony wall showing the upper wall.

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly?

In the SPV (Saved Plan View) for the foundation plan…specify the pony wall display to show the lower wall only for that view. In the floor plan SPV specify the pony wall to show the upper wall. 

• Upvote 2

The walk-out basement wall is the bearing wall. Simply show it. You're overthinking it. I have SPVs for foundation and for floor plan, but on a walk-out that framed wall would show on both and I use a layer for CAD, Foundations to trace the lower "stem wall" and show it on the foundation plan only.

image.thumb.png.942c3f6a3993ba77af25fca541673790.png

image.thumb.png.c3df9a1a8ef01fca508bfcfad741a5f2.png

These are accomplished with saved plan view and layer/default sets with those views.

@joey_martin

I see you put a corner to corner dimension so trades can verify square.  I do this too, but never seen it done by others.  Glad I am following such a pro at this.  

6 hours ago, joey_martin said:

SPVs for foundation and for floor plan

This how I used to do them to, haven't had one in a couple years though.   

• Like 1

On 6/8/2024 at 10:37 PM, mtldesigns said:

@joey_martin

I see you put a corner to corner dimension so trades can verify square.  I do this too, but never seen it done by others.  Glad I am following such a pro at this.  

This how I used to do them to, haven't had one in a couple years though.   

Was taught that in Arch school in the 80's and have always done it that way. Sometimes I put 2 different corner to corner, but always at least 1.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Sometimes I put 2 different corner to corner

Yep, same here.  Its ugly of course in regard to the neatness of the package..  but if it can save time and avoid math errors in the field, it is worth it.  

Corner to corner measurements:

From a former foundation contractor's view point ... that plan shown has 25 corners and 3 T-walls .... I would thin down this SPV to just the concrete and would have about 15 corner to corner measurements! Concrete contractors will love and promote you like a king. This tiny bit of time on the computer is like gold when the homeowner talks with the trades... your plan value increases significantly and should leverage up you asking commission. 

@wesdutkaSteve and Joey are  correct in my opinion, just show the wood wall on top of the concrete pony wall in the plan view (concrete thickness showing of course). As for not "...showing any of the other stuff on The Lower Floor Plan...", I use a "Basement Framing" saved plan view with a separate layer set line specifically for basement bearing walls and another for interior non-bearing walls to help display what I want and don't want to see. I also do not have interior bearing walls designated as "Foundation Wall" under the general panel in the wall specification (which automatically places a footing). Instead, I separately place strip footings on the foundation SPV and thus can separate footings and walls in each SPV for the interior bearing walls.

After you create both saved plan views, create two separate layer sets to display what you want for each SPV. For each saved plan view you can then click on the edit active view icon and create all the different text, dims, arrow, CAD layer, Layer set, Ref display, etc.... When you have it the way you want, save it then go back and check off the "Never Save" option and it will lock in your choices. You have to remember to not arrow up and down when you want to see your "Foundation" and "Basement Framing" from any other SPV's, these are now very specific and need to be accessed from the Saved Plan View Control. Use the new layer in 3D for your foundation as well to get just your concrete. And if need be, use the Delete Surface tool to erase any wall layers that you don't want in your picture being sent to the layout.

This is a little extra work, but far less than drawing another foundation and having two plans that aren't in sync with each other. You can also save this effort to your template for future use.

On future houses, you could also start to keep every layer "in the dirt" as foundation (Level 0), and then start the walk out as Level 1. This will make your pony wall not on the foundation, but on the level that it is actually on.