Metal Stud framing plus other related questions

mtldesigns

My client lost their home to Hurricane Michael back in 2019.  He is now finally at the stage to build new, but this time around its going to be a fortress considering everything else in his neighborhood (Panama City FL.).  Beside being above flood zone, which is 4' above his current grade we are building the exterior walls with 8" CMU's with a brick/stone facade (stem and slab).  All interior walls are going to be metal studs.  I honestly have never used these before and don't find as such in the Chief library.  I found this question in the forum, and wondered if this is still the case in X15?  Does this report as lumber by chance?  Does not showing the correct shape, not really matter?  Oh yeah, my trusses will be metal too..  

Secondly, when is comes to the furring of the interior of the CMU wall, he wants to use "Z-furring channels".  Would I do the same as the metal studs and create a new material and with name?  He wants 3" foam board insul, so I am assuming the sill would be a typical metal stud, legs up?  

https://www.clarkdietrich.com/products/z-furring-channel

Any advice in the build process will be appreciated too.

This man has done his research and knows what he wants, that is for sure. 

I don't think you're getting any responses here because most people who understand the issue are wondering why you don't just try it.  Draw a single wall, follow Rob's advice from that other thread, generate a materials list, and take a look at a 3D view.  You'll have your answers faster than the time it took to type of this response : )

pic.png

• Upvote 1

But then unless you are going to get all anal about the framing and produce a buy list for the steel, why bother?  All over SW FL where we live, houses are built with CMU block, exterior walls furred with Z, interior walls framed with steel, and the con docs I see, and I have seen a few dozen sets used by builders like Pulte, Toll Brothers, ICI and others, those plans show no steel details at all.  It is called out in notes, but that's all.

On 5/10/2024 at 11:01 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

Draw a single wall, follow Rob's advice from that other thread, generate a materials list, and take a look at a 3D view.

Yeah, I did that after I put that out there.  Down in Gene's neck of the woods, there is more CMU built, here it's either ICF or stick built.  I guess I panicked just a tad because my client knows more about this stuff than I do (he's a concrete engineer for Cemex).  I wanted to know what he was talking about.  I did my diligence, looked up some things, and put that wall in a model.  I freaked out over nothing.

Glad to hear from you Michael... 

On 5/10/2024 at 1:02 PM, GeneDavis said:

CMU block, exterior walls furred with Z, interior walls framed with stee

Hey Gene, I figured most of this stuff out, but the one question I cannot find a real answer for is how the Z furring strips connect at the floor, or don't they?