Stair Issues

DefinedDesign

Stairs going up from landing to second story - how do I remove the railing in front of the stairs?  The stairs are connected to both landings I'm not certain why the railing is staying.

In this left doorway on the second floor I need to add stairs from the landing into this room.  I placed stairs at the landing but they are not showing correctly - need advice on what I’m doing incorrectly.  

1864908189_StairIssues1.1.thumb.png.f50dab6243cfd9890af53133cabd961a.png

This elevation show the 2nd set of stairs meets both balconies.  Some of the stairs going into this room are showing but I don’t understand how to make the entire staircase show it is only 3 steps.

1361932163_StairIssues1.2.thumb.png.a576077116e2f29a8a2083de1fad5ff1.png

60236150_StairIssues1.3.thumb.png.e3e2db4af01759d5ce8cb9b4433ec4ed.png

Not sure why you have a railing going across where the stair is unless it is not actually connected to the landing.  I would have to poke around the plan to know for sure.  You could always just add a break to the landing edge and then manually remove the railing.

As for the other stairs going through the doorway, it looks like you need to make a hole in the floor platform.  Stairs don't automatically make holes in floors and you would see the same kind of problem if you just drew a stair going up to the ceiling.  You can probably do this with invisible walls and then make the room type open below or maybe even a manual hole in the floor.  You might be able to use the auto stairwell tool but it might not work in a complicated situation like this.

• Like 1

@DBCooper @GeneDavis @Michael_Gia Thank you for the suggestions!  I created invisible walls on the 1st and 2nd floor and on the second floor made the room 'open below'.  However, the wall beneath the door would not disappear, so I lowered the door by -28 1/4" on the floor to bottom measurement to match the top of the balcony height.  Basically this door is now between two floors. Any advice on how to remove these two boards in the image below?  

Also what is the best way to get the handrail to move inside the doorway and also stay at the wall once beyond the doorway?

1050552417_StairIssues1.4.thumb.png.56c628005936dae4d9871904b0d159b8.png

For some reason moving the balcony around to fit the 3rd set of stairs almost fixed the railing showing in front of the 2nd set of stairs - it's possible the balcony was not fully attached to the left wall where the new 3rd set of stairs is - still not a fan of how the railing is peeking out though.

1939552667_StairIssues1.5.thumb.png.7d929ee4e413f55fa1a3f12802ba021c.png

Not sure how to remove the platform pieces in the doorway.  I tried a test case and it seemed to work fine for me so you might need to post the plan so that someone can play around with it.  This is not a typical situation so I am not surprised that Chief doesn't handle it well.

As for the handrail, you could trying adding a complete break to the stair so that you can two stair sections with the one in the doorway narrower than the one on the other side.  Or, you could just remove the handrail and manually use a molding polyline.  In either case, I am not sure if that stairway will meet code because they are not supposed to narrow in the direction of egress.  If this is new construction, you might want to tweak the design to avoid this problem.

In your second picture, I think all you need to do is move your break point over a bit so your rail stops at the stair post.  Michael mentions that this might automatically change but I think that only applies to the automatic openings that stairs make in railings.  In your case, since you did not get an opening to begin with it shouldn't be a problem but you can always turn off "automatic rail openings" in your stair dialog if it does turn into a problem.

6 hours ago, DefinedDesign said:

However, the wall beneath the door would not disappear, so I lowered the door by -28 1/4"

You can lower the floor level of the “open below” room by 28-1/4”, so that your door will sit at the proper level. No need to lower the door. An open below room behaves the same way as other rooms.