Box up ceiling into a floor truss?

Astrigal

Can CAx15 allow somehow for a raised, or boxed up ceiling into a floor truss?   I have tried buy the error message said it wasn't allowed.

We get the truss manufacturer to make them this way for our homes.

image.thumb.png.bdf639bc52b3e869537d3a15bd05484b.png

I know that those can be built into roof/ceiling trusses, but not sure I have seen them in floor trusses. 

The Tray ceiling tool within Chief won't build a tray into a floor platform though as far as I know, be it truss or conventional lumber.

Can you fellas think of any creative way to get a tray ceiling into a floor truss?  I do this all the time with great rooms. 

(now where's the cross my fingers emoji?) :)

1 hour ago, Astrigal said:

Can you fellas think of any creative way to get a tray ceiling into a floor truss?  I do this all the time with great rooms. 

(now where's the cross my fingers emoji?) :)

We do it around here once in a while too. Make a room divider wall directly above the tray ceiling room below and adjust the floor & ceiling measurements. Then build three individual floor joists (and line them up), install a crown mldg to hide the gap. The cross section looks almost like the real thing.

1954527227_1CrossSection.thumb.png.81eb497d759f00a61e56c644bbcd715c.png1986373305_1MainFloor.thumb.png.f4a60712b171b8302792ad6357eff0eb.png2129480966_1UpperFloor.thumb.png.2db08fe2f9e530b85bd6fdac59d11f12.png

@ValleyGuyThat's an excellent solution.  Thank you!  I sure wish CA would incorporate a tray ceiling option into a floor truss.  That way the cross sections would be more accurate to the way residential builders actually build here.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:32 PM, Astrigal said:

Can you fellas think of any creative way to get a tray ceiling into a floor truss

On rare occasions, I have used a roof truss! You can edit the polyline of a roof truss. This is all manual, so it's not something worth doing until the very final steps of your plan set, but it makes for a nice looking truss.

Tip: Your floor trusses will look more realistic by adjusting the web spacing to somewhere between 48" and 55". Most floor trusses have a bottom chord span of about 48" and a vertical post to reduce the top chord span to about 24". Chief doesn't model floor trusses correctly, but they build nice when using a roof truss. Unfortunate...

image.thumb.png.e0c0882a3ed6715f59a706eb13c0265a.png

3 hours ago, para-CAD said:

Cheaper to set the regular floor truss high and furr down around the outside to create the boxed effect.

Yes I agree, and not only that but the structural integrity of the floor truss framing member remains intact with a full span and depth and with proper supports at each end. You could just increase the floor to ceiling height if need be to accommodate the trey ceiling ?

• 3 weeks later...

@para-CAD  I would do as you suggest... make the truss shallow and fur down, but then the exterior plate heights have to go up and vary room to room and the carpenters like it when all the plates are the same height so it's easier for them in the field.