Box up ceiling into a floor truss?

Astrigal

Can CAx15 allow somehow for a raised, or boxed up ceiling into a floor truss?   I have tried buy the error message said it wasn't allowed.

We get the truss manufacturer to make them this way for our homes.

image.thumb.png.bdf639bc52b3e869537d3a15bd05484b.png

I know that those can be built into roof/ceiling trusses, but not sure I have seen them in floor trusses. 

The Tray ceiling tool within Chief won't build a tray into a floor platform though as far as I know, be it truss or conventional lumber.

Can you fellas think of any creative way to get a tray ceiling into a floor truss?  I do this all the time with great rooms. 

(now where's the cross my fingers emoji?) :)

1 hour ago, Astrigal said:

Can you fellas think of any creative way to get a tray ceiling into a floor truss?  I do this all the time with great rooms. 

(now where's the cross my fingers emoji?) :)

We do it around here once in a while too. Make a room divider wall directly above the tray ceiling room below and adjust the floor & ceiling measurements. Then build three individual floor joists (and line them up), install a crown mldg to hide the gap. The cross section looks almost like the real thing.

1954527227_1CrossSection.thumb.png.81eb497d759f00a61e56c644bbcd715c.png1986373305_1MainFloor.thumb.png.f4a60712b171b8302792ad6357eff0eb.png2129480966_1UpperFloor.thumb.png.2db08fe2f9e530b85bd6fdac59d11f12.png

@ValleyGuyThat's an excellent solution.  Thank you!  I sure wish CA would incorporate a tray ceiling option into a floor truss.  That way the cross sections would be more accurate to the way residential builders actually build here.

On 4/9/2024 at 2:32 PM, Astrigal said:

Can you fellas think of any creative way to get a tray ceiling into a floor truss

On rare occasions, I have used a roof truss! You can edit the polyline of a roof truss. This is all manual, so it's not something worth doing until the very final steps of your plan set, but it makes for a nice looking truss.

Tip: Your floor trusses will look more realistic by adjusting the web spacing to somewhere between 48" and 55". Most floor trusses have a bottom chord span of about 48" and a vertical post to reduce the top chord span to about 24". Chief doesn't model floor trusses correctly, but they build nice when using a roof truss. Unfortunate...

image.thumb.png.e0c0882a3ed6715f59a706eb13c0265a.png

3 hours ago, para-CAD said:

Cheaper to set the regular floor truss high and furr down around the outside to create the boxed effect.

Yes I agree, and not only that but the structural integrity of the floor truss framing member remains intact with a full span and depth and with proper supports at each end. You could just increase the floor to ceiling height if need be to accommodate the trey ceiling ?