How to create a belly band

westvale

Go to solution Solved by SNestor,

Hello!  I am just getting familiar with Chief and doing my first exterior.  I have a few questions:

1. How do I create the "transition board" you can see in the 1st image separating two different styles of siding. 

2. How do I get the roof to wrap around the house at the top of the first floor (as shown in image 2)?

3. How do I create the front roofline where it's a gable that merges with a hip roof?  

The first two images I received from the contractor in pdf to work off of.  The 3rd image is what I've done so far in Chief, note the wonky roof on the right side.

I've been searching for answers to these questions for hours so hopefully someone is able to explain!  Thanks in advance. 

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.40.51 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.43.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.46.34 PM.png

1. Regarding your first question, I'd use a polyline converted to a molding.
  2. Wrapping the roof around the house is just a matter of drawing some roof planes
  3. As you are new to Chief, have you watched this video on drawing roof planes? https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/25/drawing-roofs-manually.html?playlist=95

• Like 1

17 hours ago, westvale said:

How do I create the "transition board" you can see in the 1st image separating two different styles of siding.

It's important to keep in mind that a 3d solid used as a horizontal trim board will not display a wood grain texture with the correct orientation (if that matters to you). This is something that does matter to me. Also, I prefer to use real world trim board sizes and I am far too lazy to resize a 3d solid and paint it. 

So I created a library of molding profiles specifically for exterior trim. They all have a SmartTrim type of material already assigned to them in the library. And they all have simple names.

So, when I need to create one of these trims, I simply type in '1x6' in the library browser. My molding profile appears, I select it which activates the molding tools. In elevation view, select 3d molding line from the tool palette and draw the line. This will create the molding with the correct material. Keep in mind that a 3d molding will 'land' on what ever surface you draw the molding line on. And in plan view, the 3d molding will be on whichever floor level that was active in the elevation camera. 

For a simple elevation view, you might just use a simple trim board, but you can also use more complex and decorative moldings, or you can create stacked moldings, like a 1x6 trim board with metal drip moldings above / below the trim board and with separate materials.

• Like 1