Interior Elevation Lineweights

rwaldrondesigns

I would say that lineweights is one of my biggest beefs with Chief. Today, I took three elevations and converted them to details so that I could adjust the lineweights and make them more presentable. The difference between the two is amazing, which frustrated me even further. Is there anything I'm missing and it actually is possible to modify elevation lineweights particularly with interiors? I've attached the before and afters of my elevations to show a bit of what I'm aiming for. Given, the presentation one also looks better because I added poche and more detail, but we can see how much more depth there is when the lineweights are properly adjusted.

Old Mill Sink Wall Elevation.jpg

Chief Architect Sink Elevation.jpg

Rachel, are you sending your views to layout as 'live views' or 'plot lines'?  Live Views are fast and look 'okay' and can be used for watercolor and other styles.  Plot Lines will give a crisper view and you can adjust your line weights by layer.

15 hours ago, scottharris said:

Rachel, are you sending your views to layout as 'live views' or 'plot lines'?  Live Views are fast and look 'okay' and can be used for watercolor and other styles.  Plot Lines will give a crisper view and you can adjust your line weights by layer.

I send my views as "plot lines". I can manually adjust each and every lineweight (when it cooperates), but what I can't do is tell the system that I want all cut lines to be bolder. I'd have to modify it every single time, and if I refresh it, I start from scratch. There has to be a better way. 

17 hours ago, rwaldrondesigns said:

I send my views as "plot lines". I can manually adjust each and every lineweight (when it cooperates), but what I can't do is tell the system that I want all cut lines to be bolder. I'd have to modify it every single time, and if I refresh it, I start from scratch. There has to be a better way. 

Not sure what you mean by "cut lines" but have you played with sending Plot Line views using Edge and Pattern Line Defaults? This is how I send all of my vector elevations:

1798937739_ScreenShot2024-02-26at9_12_53AM.thumb.png.3fc3ca67410c4df791292de9e4fed8d4.png

Once it is sent you can then adjust the line weights and colors of the edges and the patterns independently of each other. I typically use a bolder black line for edges, and a thinner gray line for patterns:

1547120803_ScreenShot2024-02-26at9_14_06AM.thumb.png.af3c0e470d6932aa153a77152544590f.png

Oddly, Chief programmers have been down-talking this feature for several versions, and removed some of the earlier functionality that made it easier to use, and even indicated they planned to delete the feature entirely at one point. So far we still have it and I hope it stays, it's super useful for what you want to do.

To create an attractive border around an interior elevation view, there will almost always by some CAD work to do. That being said, this can be quick and simple and can be done directly in the elevation view. There should rarely be a need to use a cad detail. Rachel, you might find it helpful to talk to someone who can review your files and discuss (in person) the troubles you face and what kind of solutions are available.

On 2/25/2024 at 3:27 PM, rwaldrondesigns said:

You need to set up a layer set for those interior design shots. You have more control over those lines with a dedicated layer set for your interior elevations.

image.thumb.png.182177c3a2deeb615859b333027f3b3c.png

• Upvote 1