can this plan be done with auto roof?

Jambruins

I get a lot of clients who want a gable roof in the middle portion of the house and a hip roof on the left and right side of the house (see attached picture). Disregard the messed up beams/windows/etc. I just added the picture to show how the roof needs to look. 

I have always manually modified the middle portion of the house to get the gable roof but is there a way use auto roofs to do it?

My plan is attached.

house.png

house.zip

Your posted image looks  NOTHING like your plan file. It would help if you could share a little more data as to the intended outcome. Why is there a parapet on one end? Is that the pitch you wish the auto-roofs to be? Is the ceiling height for the first floor correctly set?

DJP

@Jambruins I don't understand your question, as presented in the opening post. 

Here's what you said:   "I have always manually modified the middle portion of the house to get the gable roof but is there a way use auto roofs to do it?"

I downloaded your plan file and went to all the walls that manage the roof build, changed roof settings to be as they should, added room divider walls in two places, broke the two long walls where needed to define the front and rear gables, then turned off auto roof build, deleted your roof, and turned auto roof build back on.  You can see in the image what I got.  Is that what you wanted to do?

Scott Harris's trick of jacking up the room height for the center cross gable spaces, he moved the room height up 1/8", is what it takes for there to be enough of a break at the valley points to get the center cross gable at a 12-pitch.  I'd like for @scottharris to give us an explanation of what is behind that trick to make it work.

Steve is not really showing you how to do it automatically, but is showing you how to manually use the gable roof line tool to modify the auto-gen roof your plan delivered using your settings.  And it would be also beneficial if Steve @SNestor to show us his method for getting this roof to auto-gen with the main gables at 5:12 and the center cross at 12:12.  

Screenshot 2024-01-29 102145.png

6 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Steve is not really showing you how to do it automatically, but is showing you how to manually use the gable roof line tool to modify the auto-gen roof your plan delivered using your settings.  And it would be also beneficial if Steve @SNestor to show us his method for getting this roof to auto-gen with the main gables at 5:12 and the center cross at 12:12.  

@GeneDavis - In the video at about the 26 second mark you can see how I changed the pitch using the gable roof line tool. If you double click the gable line, it opens and and allows you to specify the pitch you want the gable roof to be. In this case I made it 10/12.

Hope that helps! 

• 1 month later...