Layer Control -- Cad Blocks

JKEdmo

Go to solution Solved by GeneDavis,

Hello,

I created an orange layer called "CAD, SKETCH" for layout / helping lines, etc. in my PLAN files.

image.thumb.png.24e14698623d6b3e49027a8e9581c2c8.png

In today's project, I created a CAD block  that happened to include line work on the CAD, SKETCH layer.

I noticed if I toggle the layer display, the layer linework turns on/off as expected.  But, the CAD, SKETCH layer linework within the CAD block is not at all affected.

My question -- how is linework within a CAD block controlled?  I'm a little confused here...

I hope my question is not too confusing.

Thanks again,

Jim

• Solution

Blocking CAD objects creates a new object, let's call it the "block," and the block can have its layer different from the layer or layers of those elements which were blocked.  Think of those layers as now subverted or made moot.  You now control visibility of the entire grouped blocked thing, the block, by its layer.  

You gotta explode it to regain viz control of the elements, which when unblocked, now retain their original layer assignments.

46 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

You now control visibility of the entire grouped blocked thing, the block, by its layer.

Thanks Gene for the explanation. 

I find it peculiar that while toggling the display attribute does not affect the layer contained by the block, changing the layer color, linetype, or line weight attribute does.  Not sure if I understand that logic, but I guess I'll need to get used to this.

Thanks again,

Jim

9 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

You gotta explode it to regain viz control of the elements, which when unblocked, now retain their original layer assignments.

Don't forget that you can edit the cad block without exploding by using the Edit Cad Block tool.

9 hours ago, DBCooper said:

You get to decide how it works by choosing "by block layer" or "by object".

1 hour ago, glennw said:

See also Preferences>CAD>CAD Blocks

Thank you.  I'm still confused how you can turn off an individual layer within a block from outside the block, i.e. if you can at all.  Coming from Autocad world.  I guess I need to spend some more time with this.

Jim

30 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

It appears that you can not turn off a layer within a block from outside or inside the block.

Thanks Alan.  Was just looking for this confirmation.

I was thinking maybe in future I should just make my property boundaries a reference file.  Maybe this is best practice.  That way I should be able to control display of individual layers.

Jim

On 9/17/2023 at 11:15 AM, JKEdmo said:

I was thinking maybe in future I should just make my property boundaries a reference file. 

I did this for a new project.  Seems to offer more display control.  Thanks to everyone for the input.

Jim

Just to clarify what I said before, if you have cad in a block, you can use the separate object layers to control things like line style, line weight, and line color (depending on the "by block layer" or "by object" setting) but you can't use them to control visibility.  Visibility is always controlled by the block layer and I think it is always an all or nothing.  Either everything in the block shows or nothing shows.  You might be able to fake it though by setting the line style to "invisible" or the color to white. 

56 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Just to clarify what I said before, if you have cad in a block, you can use the separate object layers to control things like line style, line weight, and line color (depending on the "by block layer" or "by object" setting) but you can't use them to control visibility.  Visibility is always controlled by the block layer and I think it is always an all or nothing.  Either everything in the block shows or nothing shows.  You might be able to fake it though by setting the line style to "invisible" or the color to white. 

DB,

Yes, I understood.  Thanks for the follow-up.  After working with Autocad for 30 years or so, still getting used to Chief's features/quirks!

Jim