Room Not Defining - Therefore, no roof, no floor.

KnotSquare

I am attaching pictures of the home damaged by fire that I am sitting in as I write this. The Surface Pro 7 Tablet, however handy, is slow for CA15!!! Faster response may allow me to try some things to find a solution.

When I added the bay to the Great Room, the room was no longer a room.

Prior, I was also having difficulty getting the roof to cooperate.I am not concerned about the dormer on the front of the house at this time, but do wish to retain the 2:12 shed pitch on the added CMU Laundry at the read that took the main hit. The Detached Garage caught fire, loosing her Subaru with a full tank of gas. The fire was electrical, but spread to a gas heater that blew, leaving the gas line wide open to blast furnace the rear of the home for over an hour.

Sear n Roebuck Kit Home. It held up surprisingly good, lathe and plaster walls inside are all but intact less a small leak from water sent to extinguish the attic.

Insurance tip: Had they not connect the Garage to the house with 2x4s and a roof to keep snow out from between the buildings, the house would not have been covered in the"garage" fire.

Ext SE Corner.png

Ext NW Corner.png

As-Built.zip

8 minutes ago, solver said:

Try deleting the bay walls and redraw. 

This is correct though I don't know why.

FWIW, selecting just outside an Exterior wall you'll be able to select the "Exterior Room"

It'll indicate where room definition problems are at -- see it wrapping into that room at the Bay.

image.thumb.png.47592aa63d2d56c06c3c755d650519f8.png

NORMALLY you should be able to just open those walls and uncheck "No Room Definition", but they're checked and greyed out?

image.thumb.png.b32f8e0a225169301e44e77ffb94cc31.png

I'm not sure what causes that, though I swear I've run into it before.

It shouldn't be possible as far as I'm concerned.

Quickest way is just redraw them.

Bobbie brought me dinner.

The bay has a different wall type as they are built different.

That appears to have been the issue.

Do you think it could have been resolved with the actual wall type, or do you feel this was the best solution.

I certainly agree that it will work fine here as I do not need the bay to be to the inch. There will be no change there.

If it were a crucial issue, I guess I could have added a furred wall inside to make up the added thickness.

Agree?

Room Definition Issue

I managed to get the Great Room to have room definition in the plan attached here. I still cannot add the bay I require in the first attached plan, also shown as a reference floor from Level 0, though in the Basement, you do not see the bay, so I assume that the bay is a foundation only area. It does go to grade as can be seen in the photographs of the existing residence.

To exacerbate the issue, I need to draw a Garage that has a slab that is 21.25" below the subfloor in the Laundry Room. The garage walls are gone as this is where the fire originated, but the pad remains.

When I created the framed wall type I wish to use and drew out the space, it too has no room definition.

I do not know what is going on.

I will give this another shot before I head back to the site in the morning. It would be nice to finish this up in Chief and not turn to AutoCAD to input the dimensional data so I can return to my office and try to make the building work.

Any help I would truly be grateful for. I tried duplicating what Eric did in a short video I created.

Ext NW Corner.png

Ext SE Corner.png

As-Built2.plan

Looking at this again this morning, your Exterior Wall Defaults are in that state, No Room Def checked and disabled.

image.thumb.png.0d5ef9b234512a5c3a8fbaa42211ed4d.png

There's no way to draw an exterior wall with that tool and create a defined room.

Looking closer at the wall defaults, it looks like you'd accidentally set them to be Furred by default -- on the Structure panel, look under the Double Wall settings and set it to Frame Through.

Do that both on the existing Bay walls that are misbehaving and your exterior wall defaults so that tool can work normally again.

And be careful in those Defaults dialogs in he future :) 

2 hours ago, KnotSquare said:

I managed to correct my model,  but if I draw new walls off of this .plan, the issue will repeat. Since it is grayed out in defaults, how do I uncheck it?

Check your Exterior Wall Defaults

On 9/12/2023 at 9:00 AM, TeaTime said:

on the Structure panel, look under the Double Wall settings and set it to Frame Through.

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to fix the wall by going to a previously saved version that had this wall. First I deleted the wall that was the problem, and Copy/Paste Hold Position from one model to the next.

In defaults however, "No Room Definition" remains checked and greyed out for creating new exterior walls of this type.

Ideas?

I attached the model with the issue.

Thanks guys.

Mark

As-Built.zip

Have a look in the help file.

Check No Room Definition to display the wall in floor plan and/or 3D views but not create room definition. This box is checked and inactive when the selected wall is set to be a Furred Wall on the Structure panel. See Room Definition.

This has already been explained in several of the above posts.

Thank you, everyone, especially Steve who took the time to make the video.

I had resolved this issue, and will read the Help file, but seem to find that it falls short of explaining things. Sometimes I run across slang as well, such as Shoe Plate when I believe it means Sole Plate. I had a feeling I knew what that meant, but was not certain. An internet search did not produce results for Shoe Plate.

I know the above is off topic, but as I will read the Help file, I do hope that there is an explanation as to what a furred wall is, which to me is a wall interior of another wall to place insulation or run plumbing, electrical, etc.

Sometimes I find Chief lacking in construction knowledge, but they are certainly improving since I was first introduced to Chief by an Architect that used it in 1995-96 and brought in PDFs for us to generate the engineering for when I was interning for a Structural Engineer.

Again, thanks to everyone, and I toss suggestions to Chief on occasion. Wow would I love to select an object and isolate that layer temporarily as I can in AutoCAD!

Mark