unwanted elevation lines

StephenGreene

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

I have run into this in X15 (and maybe X14) as well. Usually it happens on a longer stretch of exterior wall in the same plane, with rooms of  varying  ceiling heights connected by the exterior wall, or a balloon framed section of that wall.

Come to think of it, I believe it's only happened on models where I've used copied wall material regions to represent the battens in board & batten siding.

Yes, it seems to be caused by the Material Regions along that wall elevation.

I can start deleting them and once they are down to a lower number, the diagonal line disappears.

I didn't look any further, but why are your material regions extending up so far - they go way up past the roof.

This may have some bearing on the problem.

Try using solids instead of material regions and see what happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Select all the materials region battens on that wall. Cut and paste them onto the 2nd floor (ctrl-x, ctrl-alt-v).

To simplify the selection, first select the material region tool, making it active. Then marquee select the material regions on that wall. By having the material region tool active, you won't need to try to be as accurate with your marquee selection as other types of objects contained within that area will not be selected.

image.thumb.png.61b29929f170631757b31fd6a61ca77a.pngimage.thumb.png.e51cc27b13d79ed6b2e2fcd1c6b7e9cf.png

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, glennw said:

Yes, it seems to be caused by the Material Regions along that wall elevation.

I can start deleting them and once they are down to a lower number, the diagonal line disappears.

I didn't look any further, but why are your material regions extending up so far - they go way up past the roof.

This may have some bearing on the problem.

Try using solids instead of material regions and see what happens.

I've done them like this in the past using solids. I used this method after watching one of @Renerabbitt's videos on youtube. So....I'm going to blame him for the batts running up so high. :) Thanks.

4 minutes ago, StephenGreene said:

I've done them like this in the past using solids. I used this method after watching one of @Renerabbitt's videos on youtube. So....I'm going to blame him for the batts running up so high. :) Thanks.

No issue with the material regions.  And using solids is a nightmare as you have to manually adjust all of them where as a material region will auto cut around festerations and doors.  It is a glitch that should be reported but as mentioned if you move it to the second level it goes away.  Please report the issue to chief so they can fix the bug.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

Select all the materials region battens on that wall. Cut and paste them onto the 2nd floor (ctrl-x, ctrl-alt-v).

To simplify the selection, first select the material region tool, making it active. Then marquee select the material regions on that wall. By having the material region tool active, you won't need to try to be as accurate with your marquee selection as other types of objects contained within that area will not be selected.

image.thumb.png.61b29929f170631757b31fd6a61ca77a.pngimage.thumb.png.e51cc27b13d79ed6b2e2fcd1c6b7e9cf.png

Hi Rob, thanks for looking at this. I did just as you did and the lines were gone. For a while. Then I refreshed the layout and they were still there. Went back to elevation view and they had come back. Ugh. Just wondering if they are still visible on yours. 

41 minutes ago, rgardner said:

No issue with the material regions.  And using solids is a nightmare as you have to manually adjust all of them where as a material region will auto cut around festerations and doors.  It is a glitch that should be reported but as mentioned if you move it to the second level it goes away.  Please report the issue to chief so they can fix the bug.

i did as Rob suggested, moving them all to the second floor, they disappeared and then came back. I'll definitely send it in.

• Solution

The lines are gone in the camera view but they do show in layout. They change in layout after every adjustment, never the same thing twice. A few notes tweaks for you to try:

1. Make those exterior walls use the default heights and automatic floor / ceiling levels.
  2. Make the walls use default exterior materials. Adjust the wall definition so the desired material is you exterior finish layer.
  3. Make windows opaque in elevation views
  4. Use a dedicated layer set for elevation views. Turn off layers for all interior cabinets, electrical, fixtures, furnishings, hardware, etc.
  5. Remove the brick ledge from your main floor brick wall definition. It isn't needed in this plan and creates unwanted double lines around the garage.
  6. Here's the last thing I did that finally worked in layout: Select the battens, increase the thickness and set them to cut the finish layer. BOOM!

Snippet from layout:

image.thumb.png.ee3449db535d862acfa977333266e9a8.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

The lines are gone in the camera view but they do show in layout. They change in layout after every adjustment, never the same thing twice. A few notes tweaks for you to try:

1. Make those exterior walls use the default heights and automatic floor / ceiling levels.
  2. Make the walls use default exterior materials. Adjust the wall definition so the desired material is you exterior finish layer.
  3. Make windows opaque in elevation views
  4. Use a dedicated layer set for elevation views. Turn off layers for all interior cabinets, electrical, fixtures, furnishings, hardware, etc.
  5. Remove the brick ledge from your main floor brick wall definition. It isn't needed in this plan and creates unwanted double lines around the garage.
  6. Here's the last thing I did that finally worked in layout: Select the battens, increase the thickness and set them to cut the finish layer. BOOM!

Snippet from layout:

image.thumb.png.ee3449db535d862acfa977333266e9a8.png

Thanks, Rob, that did it!

1. I had the wall heights set at default, I was just trying anything to make the lines disappear.

2. same as #1

3. Yes, I always do this.

4. Good idea. Will definitely do this.

5. Not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I do know what double lines you are talking about. I had to make it a pony wall to get the brick height correct.

6. THANK YOU AGAIN! That was driving me nuts.