orthographic full overview

BruceKC

6 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

they should update that..standard view with line option looks a lot nicer, especially since they fixed shadows wtih the section cut tool when used with full overview instead of floor overview with no shadows

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

they should update that..standard view with line option looks a lot nicer, especially since they fixed shadows wtih the section cut tool when used with full overview instead of floor overview with no shadows

Agreed, but the main point was showin labels on a Top-down view, and the only way to do that is mixin 2D and 3D Views, regardless of rendering tech.

Hopefully some day we'll get the ability to show text and dimensions in 3d views and none of this will be necessary!

8 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Hopefully some day we'll get the ability to show text and dimensions in 3d views and none of this will be necessary!

bet you X16 will have it...Bruce posted elsewhere, his goal is to actually help distinguish between overlapping roof planes, to which I suggested he mess with his roof plane fills. I do wish we had the ability to auto set roof under eaves to a different line style

41 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I take it you don't feel that the 3d aspect of text notes make Chief slow enough for you?;) I wish for the opposite...I'd like Text Notes to completely lose their 3d function, or at least have 2 separate types of text notes.

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I take it you don't feel that the 3d aspect of text notes make Chief slow enough for you?

I haven't ever encountered any significant issue with them, no.

10 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I'd like Text Notes to completely lose their 3d function

I don't think I understand, if you don't want them in 3D just don't display them in 3D?

43 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I don't think I understand, if you don't want them in 3D just don't display them in 3D?

I don't but I have always found that text notes slow Chief way down on my system. I still use them but sparingly. And while I can't prove it, I assume it is because of how frequently Chief is rebuilding the model and every 3d item that gets rebuilt, makes it slower. Generally speaking, I have 2 sets of text notes in my plans, only on the elevation views. Chief works much faster if I delete them all. So naturally I assume others must experience something similar at least some of the time...

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Chief works much faster if I delete them all.

Huh. Just to see if maybe it's a matter of my not using them as rigorously as you, I made a few and did a multiple copy array--woops, ended up with 336 of the things, and it sure slowed down Plan view (but so does having that many Callouts), but my 3D views loaded the same speed before and after, displayed or not. I wonder why you're seeing a performance hit.

5 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I wonder why you're seeing a performance hit.

It usually gets worse as the plan file progresses to completion. At the beginning, there's no problem. But then again, who edits / places notes at the beginning?:)

33 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Huh. Just to see if maybe it's a matter of my not using them as rigorously as you, I made a few and did a multiple copy array--woops, ended up with 336 of the things, and it sure slowed down Plan view (but so does having that many Callouts), but my 3D views loaded the same speed before and after, displayed or not. I wonder why you're seeing a performance hit.

@plannedRITE can tell you first hand about schedules...troubleshooted his sytem for a year...schedules can bring a plan to a crawl, so if your notes are needing to rerepot values to a schedule, its a plan killer

On 7/12/2023 at 2:14 PM, BruceKC said:

Is it possible to do a full orthographic overview (top view) and display the labels? Seems like a no-brainer, but I'm thinking it's not possible?

I've used an orthographic overview underneath a plan view, with a customized layer set just for displaying certain information on top. You can send the overview to layout at your desired scale and then simply align the 2 views using the point-to-point move tool. One of the nice things about this method, is that if the camera is saved in your template plan, and if you have a layout template for this purpose, relinking the views is quick and simple.

On 7/13/2023 at 3:02 PM, robdyck said:

I've used an orthographic overview underneath a plan view, with a customized layer set just for displaying certain information on top. You can send the overview to layout at your desired scale and then simply align the 2 views using the point-to-point move tool. One of the nice things about this method, is that if the camera is saved in your template plan, and if you have a layout template for this purpose, relinking the views is quick and simple.

so...

On 7/12/2023 at 4:02 PM, TeaTime said:
  • Like 1