Auto Display Cabinet Comments in Wall Elevation?

DesignGallery

Hello! I'm new to Chief Architect. Is there a way to automatically display the comments associated with each cabinet in a kitchen wall elevation view? I've poked around in Tools-->Layer-->Display Settings and figured out how to automatically display cabinet numbers but don't see any way to auto display comments. TIA!

It could be done with a custom macro in a text box with an arrow connected to the cabinet.

For a more comprehensive automatic method a custom macro would have to be created that would rely on the name of the layerset so that the label would only display that in an elevation view.

OTOH, the "Comments" field can be shown as a column in a Cabinet Schedule.  That's probably the best way to deal with it.

13 minutes ago, DesignGallery said:

Is there a way to automatically display the comments associated with each cabinet in a kitchen wall elevation view?

Not that I am aware of .............. normally as Joe mentions this is normally done in the Cabinet Schedule, which is best Created in a separate CAD Detail ( per schedule , ie cabinets, windows, doors, electrical etc etc )  NOT in the Plan view as some Schedules can really slow Chief Down in Plan View eg the Framing Schedule.

If you do this in your Template Plan, you will only ever need to do it once, not every in every new plan...... and they wil auto populate in the background as you Draw.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00463/creating-and-using-a-plan-template.html

image.thumb.png.6b586a69801c3187fa0d11ee8e70b4af.png

*** Also being new here it is a good Idea to do your Forum Signature , so people know what version you are using etc , see mine below....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/?tab=comments#comment-155662

Mick

It could be done with a custom macro in a text box with an arrow connected to the cabinet.

You don't really need a custom macro just to display a comment.  If you use %comment% in the text box with the arrow, this will do exactly what you want (in a plan view).  There are even tricks you can use if you don't want the arrow to display.  But as far as I know, this doesn't work in elevation views and so you would probably have to write a more complicated custom macro to make this happen.

You could also just add %comment% to the cabinet label, but unfortunately, this would show up in all places that the cabinet label shows up.

You could also just use the cabinet schedule itself to show the comments (which you could put directly into the elevation view as well). 

Another thing you could do is use a note schedule.  I think this could work good if it was going to be just for a particular view and the comments are just on some of the cabinets.

And don't forget, you could always just add some text to the elevation view and be done with it.  Sometimes the simplest solution is really the best one.

comment macro.png

3 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Another thing you could do is use a note schedule.  I think this could work good if it was going to be just for a particular view and the comments are just on some of the cabinets.

This gets my vote, especially if there are a number of cabinets with comments that you want displayed.

Quick, simple, and clean.

2 hours ago, DBCooper said:

If you use %comment% in the text box with the arrow, this will do exactly what you want (in a plan view).

This looks like a great solution but I must be doing something wrong. 

Is it the 'Text' or 'Text Line with Arrow' command? Here's what's happening with mine. Shows up as %comment%

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 1.59.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 2.00.06 PM.png

7 minutes ago, DesignGallery said:

Is it the 'Text' or 'Text Line with Arrow' command?

Text macros within a Text Box will use attached arrows to determine what object the macro applies to (it's Referenced Object), so any arrow will work though, so long as the arrows tail end is snapped to a text box.

So Leader Line are the easiest since they draw an arrow and automatically attach a text box at the end.

image.thumb.png.a24401d84d1a57ff65b3687f27a2cbf4.png