Schedule Word Wrap Question

JKEdmo

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

Not sure if this is correct behavior or a minor glitch that I could report.

I typed in "+/-" as part of a schedule note without any spaces.

I noticed paragraph word wrap does not work with this letter combo and push it to the line below.  See screen shot with highlight below.

I would have expected any letter combo without spaces would be treated as a "word", but maybe punctuation or special character combos are different.  Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Jim

image.thumb.png.358fe891fde97d99c79bb8681ab3666c.png

• Solution

This is pretty easy to reproduce, it certainly does seem to treat "+" and "/-" as different things.*

2 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

Not sure if this is correct behavior

"correct" is subjective - I'm sure a software engineer may have a way to justify this behavior that makes no sense to the rest of us.

2 hours ago, JKEdmo said:

a minor glitch that I could report

I don't think it ever hurts to report something you feel is wrong.

*Edit: I got it to wrap "+/" and "-" so I'm guessing it's just not treating a string of symbols as a "word"

The same thing will happen when / is placed in the middle of a word. The word is no longer recognized but can be separated for wrapping.

Alternatively, you could use the plus/minus symbol ± by typing in Alt+0177. As long as your plan readers understand the symbol.

57 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I'm sure a software engineer may have a way to justify this behavior that makes no sense to the rest of us.

Yes, I'm sure too!

48 minutes ago, robdyck said:

you could use the plus/minus symbol ± by typing in Alt+0177

Thanks for the tip!

Jim

• Like 1

Thanks @JKEdmo, I'll ask our team if there is anything we can do here. I think it is likely that the underlying utility we use for text editing is pretty standard for word processing -  where characters like '/', '-', and '&' are viewed as appropriate places to add a line return when there is limited room for more characters.