Recessed baseboard

cjanderson66

Has anybody got any idea of how to do a recessed Baseboard detail like the one shown here.  I have a contemporary style home and the client wants this as the base.  I have no idea of how to show this to him in my renderings.

Z-Shadow-Bead-Softforms-STR-Reveal-Detail.png

Huh. Ponywalls would probably be the easiest...depending on what your walls look like.

image.thumb.png.8e601ca9090de729a4a47eb8f92f08d3.png

Though honestly that's such a small detail for renderings I'd probably just apply a low, thin Wall Covering a little darker than the wall color, then just mock up some detail elsewhere.

• Like 2

This has always been hard to do in chief , and Pony walls are one option, but for a Single Render, to give the Client an Idea, I'd give a Material Region set to cut the parent object a go 1st.

Their are Threads on the Forum about this with more Ideas , but maybe 1 or 2 versions ago , and there maybe newer methods too.

M.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Yep, the developers should really figure this out. Probably wouldn't take much time and resource. I'm in silicon valley and details like this are very high end expensive and popular and have been for quite some time. And when you live in an area where starter homes with three bedrooms are $1.5 million and the average house is about $4.5 million people do spend the extra time and money for high end details like this. Almost every house I design has shadow reveal baseboards, window trim and door trim. Going at it one wall at a time is absurd. 

A clever solution as always.

I would add to that though a small c-channel nested into the base to be certain there's no chance of wall materials showing through.

image.thumb.png.6a84c58bb082b547bf00982818daf995.png

The biggest issue with this is that Cross Sections will show that inside wall line, as well as that wall covering line 1/16 off the wall. Not ideal, but manageable in a few ways.

43 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

A clever solution as always.

I would add to that though a small c-channel nested into the base to be certain there's no chance of wall materials showing through.

image.thumb.png.6a84c58bb082b547bf00982818daf995.png

The biggest issue with this is that Cross Sections will show that inside wall line, as well as that wall covering line 1/16 off the wall. Not ideal, but manageable in a few ways.

in that case you can eliminate the step where I modify the wall types

3 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

in that case you can eliminate the step where I modify the wall types

I'm not sure I understand how that would help - isn't that sort of the key trick here, setting the drywall to be 1/2" opening?

Either way I'm not arguing against it, some people might not care - not every solution is perfect for everyone.

FWIW though some of the concerns about the ponywall method that you mentioned in the video aren't really concerns at all - Framing should be fine since both wall types use the same framing specs, and while there are potentially some break lines in Vector views, they only tend to appear at odd angles and when zoomed out enough.  Even in cross sections there's only a bit of weirdness where the external layers connect

image.thumb.png.8b76e8f4b17fec4c496c04bd2b749008.png

Ultimately though, it would be awesome if Moldings had an option to recess into the surface material so none of this was necessary!

17 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I'm not sure I understand how that would help - isn't that sort of the key trick here, setting the drywall to be 1/2" opening?

Either way I'm not arguing against it, some people might not care - not every solution is perfect for everyone.

Not quite. The 0" drywall layer is so that it shows drywall where the wall covering doesnt cover, because otherwise it would show framing...but your molding takes care of that.
So the method is simply a invisble material on your drywall with a wall covering down to the reglet in your molding.
What did you discover, any other hiccups with the pony wall method? Exterior walls fine? door settings? etc.

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

So the method is simply a invisble material on your drywall with a wall covering down to the reglet in your molding.

Oh I get what you mean, just means you don't need the 0" drywall AND the air gap, just the air gap + covering, right right.

Your method definitely taught me that Wall Coverings are not 0" thick though, which is curious. I suppose I get why but it seems like it shouldn't be necessary. I doubt Wall Coverings have been updated in a long time, though. I personally never use the things, so this was a bit of an eye opener as far as creative uses for the things.

2 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

What did you discover, any other hiccups with the pony wall method? Exterior walls fine? door settings? etc.

I hadn't noticed any other anomalies, though I can't say I run it through a whole course yet.

The obvious limiter is -- well what if you need a legit ponywall, too??  SOL. Wall Covering time!