Townhouses In Chief

AriseDesign

No doubt, some users will advise you to create a symbol of one unit and copy the symbol for each unit. 

I would never do that as it leads to all sorts of problems from dimensioning, party walls, roofs, etc.

I would much prefer to use Edit Area and copy/paste one unit as needed and have an overall complete plan,.

The attached picture is 15 townhouses, all at different floor levels - done back in about V10.

post-106-0-08099200-1423548154_thumb.jpg

I have the same client and I do 4 unit townhouses for him which are all the same except for elevations which units have to be higher do to grade, I will draw the overall size of all units or close approx. to that size start with the firs unit and I use a shaft wall detail between units, once I get that setup for the first or first 2 units however it works out then I will get a center line and reflect about that line for a lot of the things that are in each unit that the fixtures or items will be in the same place

Ray - would you mind posting an image of a 4 unit setup? how do you handle the different elevations? - BTW my client loves to make changes.....how do you deal with that?

I would have a model for each townhouse for making changes. Just take one townhouse and do a "save-as", rename it and make the changes. If you change/move  windows or exterior doors, then your symbols will need to be redone if you made them.

Ray - would you mind posting an image of a 4 unit setup? how do you handle the different elevations? - BTW my client loves to make changes.....how do you deal with that?

Tommy here is one that I did that was on level ground and then I added the stepped unit, know I amWESTERIA LANE TOWNHOUSE-Layout.pdf working on stepping the units the opposite way, I also have done ranch townhouses for the same client