Desktop viewer , yes or no?

dskogg

I am considering using the desktop viewer for client to review model.

I tried it myself and they can see plan, layout and all cameras. Standard , glass and vector only.

It does a good job letting clients navigate large models well.

My only concern is I need to provide chief file for client to use viewer. There doesn’t seem to be a way to protect file.

What are everyone’s thoughts here?

Am I off base?

I have the same concern which is why i use the 3D Cloud Viewer  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03068/viewing-managing-and-sharing-3d-viewer-models.html

This feature is well liked by my clients but it starts to bog down as the file increases in size. It would be nice if Chief provided a way to lock the file for sharing.

Another option is to offer the .plan file at an additional cost to your clients who already have Chief. There's been lot's of debate on both sides of this issue in other threads.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, dskogg said:

There doesn’t seem to be a way to protect file

Send a copy?

I actually have a Dropbox folder that I share with my client or other associates. 

I just drag copies of files in there that they can access for whatever purpose. 
This way they always have the latest version. 

The only issue is that it requires discipline on my behalf to make sure that folder always has the most up-to-date files in it.

Adhd and bouts of laziness are my enemy. 

I like the desktop viewer. 

I'm not sure how big of a problem it is to send the client the unlocked plan files.  If your afraid of them stealing them, it's probably not any riskier than just sending them pdf files. 

The one thing that I sometimes find is a problem is that the client has to have a desktop computer that can actually run X15 in order to run the viewer.  And you need to have them use the X15 viewer if you are going to send them an X15 plan because the X14 viewer won't open it.  You might want to double check their computer specs and make sure it meets the min sys requirements. 

The other thing that is important is that you need to use "backup entire plan" and send them everything or they might not have any materials on anything.

5 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

It sounds like your concern is that the client could "steal"  the file? My thoughts on this issue is that if a client takes my file and runs, I would be protected by my rejections. 

What does protected by rejections mean?