Red Iron frame Barndominum template

REnTALs

Not that it can't be done in Chief Architect because a skilled user can do amazing things with this software but Chief is set up for stick framed residential design work primarily.  You are in for a pretty challenging first build.  Fortunately there are many discussions on Barndominiums that have been archived and you can search them out here on the forum.  I would suggest you read as much as you can.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, REnTALs said:

I just purchased this to design our 60x50 barndo. Is there not a "easy" download/template set up for a barndominum? Thank you in advance!

I’ve designed several in the last year. Its according to what your plan is. Do you want pole barn framing, conventional framing or steel framing, like clear span or cold form steel. I have plans for all these and could probably make you a template plan. Shoot me an email if you’d like to talk about it. IMG_0750.thumb.jpeg.9d17355e80fda28ca038a04d1fbaee9f.jpegIMG_0760.thumb.jpeg.049f9441a7735d391cc7f0292d2db62a.jpegIMG_0762.thumb.jpeg.f353972523c5cdf967343ab94e8f61c4.jpegIMG_0757.thumb.png.33d342380ae332ce136dce8c57bbbb09.pngIMG_0761.thumb.jpeg.78687e8582663f55616cbd186034ea80.jpeg

IMG_0751.jpeg

IMG_0755.jpeg

IMG_0756.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

4 hours ago, REnTALs said:

I just purchased this to design our 60x50 barndo.

What SW did you just purchase Chief Architect or one of the Consumer Home Designer Versions of the Software, like Pro or Architectural? 

I know  there are several Users on the Forum that do Steel Buildings who maybe able to help , like @ComputerMaster86

and @basilbabaa

As you can see most of us have a Forum Signature below or Posts , you could do yours as well , since I think you maybe here quite a bit and it'll save answering these same questions every time....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/?tab=comments#comment-155662

M.

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2023 at 8:04 PM, Garybills said:

I’ve designed several in the last year. Its according to what your plan is. Do you want pole barn framing, conventional framing or steel framing, like clear span or cold form steel. I have plans for all these and could probably make you a template plan. Shoot me an email if you’d like to talk about it. IMG_0750.thumb.jpeg.9d17355e80fda28ca038a04d1fbaee9f.jpegIMG_0760.thumb.jpeg.049f9441a7735d391cc7f0292d2db62a.jpegIMG_0762.thumb.jpeg.f353972523c5cdf967343ab94e8f61c4.jpegIMG_0757.thumb.png.33d342380ae332ce136dce8c57bbbb09.pngIMG_0761.thumb.jpeg.78687e8582663f55616cbd186034ea80.jpeg

IMG_0751.jpeg

IMG_0755.jpeg

IMG_0756.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

I did some research over the last couple of days and realized that I needed to draw the metal shell as if it were a barn and then go back in and add the living quarters with regular studs.  How do I set my exterior walls and roof for steel and R-Panel?

I have yet to find where I change the heights of walls and ridges.  I've watched videos after videos and haven't found one yet that shows me what it is that I want to to do.

Does CA have spray foam insulation?

Front

image.thumb.png.46356b1b0f1bc3d11e7a1a0596957e72.png

Back

image.thumb.png.cd2bd0e56700c25f4b0138892cca5387.png

I also would like to know how to draw the fireplace in this corner.  Austin stone going up the fireplace facing with a mantle and the seating ledge that wraps around will be Austin stone.

image.thumb.png.54b9d5441be6948442a5292c87d81871.pngThe fireplace doesn't even show up when I do a camera view.

image.png

So you should probably delete your first post since it is just quoting a previous one.

As for some of your questions...

Wall heights are normally controlled by your room floor/ceiling heights.  You can edit walls manually but this is not recommended except for special cases.  Ridge heights are then controlled by your roof pitch.  

Wall/roof insulation could be setup as a "layer" with the wall or roof structure to represent rigid foam.  You can also setup your walls to have insulation in between your framing but I don't think there is a way to change it from bats to spray foam unless you want to modify the material list.  In either case, it won't really show up in any camera views.  There is an "auto detail" feature but I don't think this is what you are asking for.

There is actually a fireplace tool that you can find if you customize your toolbars but I don't think it can make a corner unit.  There are lots of ways to make fireplaces though using combinations of walls, cabinets, solids, symbols, etc.  You might want to check out this support article and training video:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00058/creating-a-custom-chimney-and-fireplace.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/249/editing-a-solid-to-create-a-fireplace-and-chimney.html

21 hours ago, DBCooper said:

So you should probably delete your first post since it is just quoting a previous one.

As for some of your questions...

Wall heights are normally controlled by your room floor/ceiling heights.  You can edit walls manually but this is not recommended except for special cases.  Ridge heights are then controlled by your roof pitch.  

Wall/roof insulation could be setup as a "layer" with the wall or roof structure to represent rigid foam.  You can also setup your walls to have insulation in between your framing but I don't think there is a way to change it from bats to spray foam unless you want to modify the material list.  In either case, it won't really show up in any camera views.  There is an "auto detail" feature but I don't think this is what you are asking for.

There is actually a fireplace tool that you can find if you customize your toolbars but I don't think it can make a corner unit.  There are lots of ways to make fireplaces though using combinations of walls, cabinets, solids, symbols, etc.  You might want to check out this support article and training video:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00058/creating-a-custom-chimney-and-fireplace.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/249/editing-a-solid-to-create-a-fireplace-and-chimney.html

Thank you for responding.  I played all day yesterday with the program and learned some things and found other things.  Roofs have always been a struggle for me even when we were using in my Interior Design classroom.  Something I found interesting is that CA assumes all houses are built as Pier and beam or with a crawl space.  We just pour concrete slabs and build down here.  I still haven't found how to make the concrete slab my flooring.  I'll check out the links above to figure out my fireplace.

2 hours ago, TexasTam said:

Something I found interesting is that CA assumes all houses are built as Pier and beam or with a crawl space

It's all about setting up your Defaults for Local and / or existing Conditions and also doing it in your Plan Template so you don't need to do it for every project.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/56/default-settings-summary.html?playlist=138

and please ....

M.