Roof Bearing on First Floor Question

A_Joseph_PE

I know that there is a simple answer to this but I can't seem to figure it out and I am getting impatient!

When I create an automatic Roof and ignore the 2nd floor to create a Cape type roof, but without the knee walls, the second floor walls remain, see image.

I thought that there was a way to have the roof cut those walls off at their (roof and wall) interface?

image.thumb.png.3c706b006cd770e2c90a2bfaf508b958.png

I did a simple rectangular building, drew 1st floor, created 2nd floor with normal walls, see my roof setting's and this is my results using X13. No knee walls or attic walls and I raised the roof (you don't have to) to sit on joist and plate. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.1daf137c369185a12291f52929e53cb4.PNG

On 2/18/2023 at 10:13 PM, A_Joseph_PE said:

I know that there is a simple answer to this but I can't seem to figure it out and I am getting impatient!

When I create an automatic Roof and ignore the 2nd floor to create a Cape type roof, but without the knee walls, the second floor walls remain, see image.

I thought that there was a way to have the roof cut those walls off at their (roof and wall) interface?

image.thumb.png.3c706b006cd770e2c90a2bfaf508b958.png

image.thumb.png.31153c7a18570db9a7ddddbc555ca3cf.png

When you manually edit walls you turn off the parametric behavior of those walls.  So any changes you do afterwards chief thinks you want those walls how you set them manually and will no longer adjust them. 99.5% of the time there is no reason to manually adjust the wall heights.

• Like 1

Rgardner:

I don't believe that I had adjusted any walls from default in the model, but I will check.  How did you get to that screen?  It does nt look familiar...

Garybills:

Mine usually does in other models/files as well.  Now that I can't seem to get these to go away, I am interested in knowing why in this model it is different from the rest.

Mtldesigns:

Not listed as an attic wall.