Lost Wall Patterns In Vector Elevations Only

denovodesign

wall siding pattern lines do not show up in elevations in vector mode. the roof lines are there and when I hit the toggle patterns they disappear but wall lines never show up until I use the orthographic full overview camera and then they are there until I rotate it to a full on elevation view then they disappear.

I have updated video card driver.

I have tried checking and unchecking hardware smoothing

I have made sure all layers are on.

Can anyone please help with this? I have read all I could find on similiar problems. I can't believe I am the only one with this problem. running premier x6 with newest update.

thanks

Yes, I have even tried stone, brick and several others. nothing shows up when it is either an elevation or straight on view. I can orbit the camera slightly to get the lines but then you get things off a little on the edges because the building is slightly askew.

My guess is along the lines of what others are saying.

1) Your outer wall layer is very thin and so you are getting some sort of Z-Fighting problem.

2) Your model is located a long way from (0, 0) x and y coordinates leading to a numeric precision problem in 3D that causes a similar problem to Z fighting.

3) Some sort of video card hardware/driver problem. This is probably not the issue, but I mention it to be complete.

When we compute the lines for the layout we use double precision numbers and an algorithm that will pull the lines forward if they are some how covered up by surfaces in front. In order to get even halfway reasonable performance in OpenGL we are required to use single precision numbers which can result in a lot of odd things under certain circumstances. A good rule of thumb is to keep your model as near 0,0 as you can. If you get out about 1 mile or so from the origin all sorts of weird things begin to happen to the 3D.

Similarly, if you have very thin layers in your walls you can get some weird issues like what you are describing.

Of course this is all speculation. It would be a lot easier to diagnose with the actual plan to look at.

On my laptop which has a very high DPI I couldn't see the pattern lines unless I zoomed way in because they are very thin and not very distinct from the very dark fill color. I bumped the pattern line weight up and they showed up a bit better but the dark on dark color is really hard to see. Try changing the pattern line color to something more distinctive and see if that helps.

thanks everyone for your replies.

it still doesn't work here but I'll mess with it some more when I have time. as long a they show up in layout or exported I really don't care. Like I said I can see them on camera orbit so I can see what I have there.

If I figure it out I'll post it.

Joey,

I'm curious as to what is really going on. Is the problem on your laptop the issue I'm seeing that is the result of very high DPI or is it another problem?

On my laptop the screen is nearly 300 DPI so the very fine black lines against a really dark background become invisible.

I see the same thing regardless of whether I'm running the NVIDIA or Intel graphics on this machine.

It seems like increasing the pattern line weight or changing the line color to something more contrasting helps.

My pattern lines are always in my standard gray scale, and are always at the same line weight from plan view to layout page. I'm sure it has to do with the video card, or maybe a setting. I just haven't had the time, or frankly just didn't care since it doesn't affect my construction documents. I don't have my laptop with me this morning but will check the settings this afternoon.

I noticed that on my laptop the lines were much more distinct when I wasn't running on battery power. The screen was brighter.

There may be an Intel graphics correlation here, but I'm not seeing it on my laptop. But then it has fairly modern Intel graphics. Only about 1 year old.

I'm starting lean in the direction that what I'm seeing is not the same as what you are seeing.

I think there is a bug in there somewhere. I had the exact same problem in an elevation, couldn't get to see the pattern whatever I tried. It was visible in 3D. I was assuming I was doing something wrong so I loaded an old plan I knew had a roof pattern, and when I had them both loaded in Chief, my new plan suddenly showed the pattern as well. Hard to reproduce though until next time it happens.