silly little soffit problems

robdyck

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

Roofs that extend downward to perpendicular roof planes still generate little soffit portions that don't connect correctly. They still follow the roof plane line. I have this problem in 4 locations just on this plan.

I'm quite sure no one has a solution to this problem yet, but if you do, I'm all ears! If anyone at Chief could offer a solution I'd be quite grateful. If they can't, perhaps I could find out exactly what it might take to get this problem addressed.

Do I really need to model all the eaves manually?

image.thumb.png.54ddfd00bc03025c98cd40d3095285e8.pngimage.thumb.png.3bd42c990315cbb375d8e0f813d77ef9.pngimage.thumb.png.0d48004364545e5fa50b5debb93a03c1.png 

Couple of thoughts...

It's pretty hard to see what is going on in those pictures because they are so dark.  Maybe my eyes are just getting old and tired?

If you want Chief to look into this problem, you probably need to report it to them.

If you want someone on the forums to look into it, then you should post the plan.

52 minutes ago, robdyck said:

A plan is posted highlighting this issue. 2 saved cameras are present focuses on the trouble area.

soffit issue 2.plan 5.07 MB · 0 downloads

Yeah , those situations have always been an issue , and I admittedly haven't done much digging previously but if you turn off all layers and only turn the Roof Overhang lines on you can see Chief isn't generating the Shape correctly ? ( or maybe just highlights the Issue?)  ie the 2 errant "Points" are part of the wrong "Plane", so like Roof Planes we would need the ability to alter those auto generated Roof Overhang lines I think.  ( or they need to re-programme it? ) You can actually see it in 3D too if you turn on the Roof Overhang Area in 3D and select a Roof Plane.

image.thumb.png.b25357c1ce0a3cec6659ae3a4b3acb50.png   image.thumb.png.742e12babee7e7587755ad5a448e7b34.png

Hi Bob,

I looked at your file to see what settings you were referring to. I see that the sub fascia and fascia are standard settings. 5 1/2" gable & eave sub, 7 1/4" gable & eave fascia.

Rob had 7 1/4" gable sub, 5 1/2" eave sub, then 1/16" x 8 1/2" gable fascia, 1/16" x 6 3/4" eave fascia.

As you stated, once the settings are equalized the roofs work.

soffitissue-fixed.jpg

• Solution

Thanks to those who replied. You are correct, the described issue is caused by the settings. My question was how to solve the soffit problem; changing the roof structure settings is not an option. Many of my projects do have 2x8 sub-fascia at gables and 2x6 sub-fascia at eaves.

My correction to solve the soffit projecting below is to create a small roof plane the size of the offending projection and remove the soffit for that small portion of roof plane. This does leave a small triangular gap in the level soffit which I could fix however it doesn't show in any normal views so, I probably wouldn't correct it unless it appeared in a rendered view.

BEFORE: image.thumb.png.113453248186b54acdc0b2ca3e4e288c.png

AFTER:image.thumb.png.779cf749a27ff38c3af3da04b8f88e82.pngimage.thumb.png.4b3e0088be5030086d6005128e667ecd.png

• Like 1

Sounds like you need to send it in as a bug if it only works 100% IF the Framing is exactly the same in both planes

as , at least for me that is pretty unusual , Gables always seem to be one size larger that Eave details ie 2x8 vs 2x6.

this should be a nice little example plan for them.

M.

45 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I did send this to TS and I'm quite sure I've sent this same issue to TS in the past. IMO the soffits should connect cleanly in situations like this.

Oh I completely agree , and this sample plans shows the Issue nicely , so I was hoping you had sent it in...thanks.

M.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob-Roraback said:

Hi Robert, I think that I have a solution. Please look at the attached plan and see if it is correct for you. BobRob fixed.zip

Thank-you for the reply and effort Bob. Unfortunately, altering the sizes of the sub-fascia or the finished fascia are not an option. They were already modeled correctly. A bit further up the page, I've marked what I find to be an acceptable solution to correct the soffit protrusion.

I did hear back from Tech Support and they confirmed that this is undesirable behavior and an alternate method of modelling is the only current solution.

For anyone wondering about the sizes I've used; they are modeled to represent pre-finished aluminum fascia covering nominal lumber sub-fascia. 

I have the finished fascia set to 0/16" thick because that's as thin as it can be made and it allows the roof plane lines to be at the correct design dimensions while still placing the lumber sub-fascia at essentially the exact correct location as well.