marlem2000

Hi :)

I’ve been trying to build a plaid for a bed since long time ago but, despite it looks easy, I can’t get a good result.

What I do is create a rectangular polyline, convert it into a solid one, then convert it to spline > advanced splines and try to modify all the mess manually.:unsure:

I’m trying to find out a way to “draw” what I want to build. It’s just a rectangle with some curves but it’s becoming really difficult. Any ideas?

As always, many thanks in advance :)

disney-s-sequoia-lodge.jpg

preview.jpg

There are bed and bedspread models in the core catalog (Interiors/Furniture/Beds) to which you can apply a plaid pattern which you can also find in the core library (Materials/Fabric & Wall covering/Checks & Plaids).

8 minutes ago, ericepv said:

There are bed and bedspread models in the core catalog (Interiors/Furniture/Beds) to which you can apply a plaid pattern which you can also find in the core library (Materials/Fabric & Wall covering/Checks & Plaids).

Hi, Eric; thanks for your help.:) I've been using the bedspread until now cos I didn't know how to make the plaid. I have never used patterns. I tryed once but it didn't work.

You mean I can convert a bedspread, for example, in a plaid?

You have a couple of options:

• Open the symbol, go to the materials tab and then and then click on 'Select Material' (to the left of the preview window) and search for the material of your choice.

or

• Search for the material in your library and then apply it to the object using eyedropper tool.

Here's a link to some knowledge base article that may be helpful https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/category/8/materials.html

I thought patterns and materials were different things. I'm used to work with materials but if I chose a pattern and drag it into an object nothing changes. Do patterns allow to build new objects like a plaid or they just work as a normal material?

Captura.JPG

For that, you can build it from a polyline. Take a look at one of these Knowledge Base articles for one that applies to your situation https://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?default_tab=support&q=polyline+solids

You could also download a symbol and apply the material of your choice. Lot's to choose from here https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search/?q=blanket&searchTab=model

Hope this helps - Eric

2 hours ago, marlem2000 said:

What I'd like to do is building a plaid from the begining.

X14 provides the ability to create "Solids" with Fillets.

In X12 you would need to draw a Polyline in an Elevation View, Fillet that and then convert to a Polyline Solid.

In either case, the material would have to be applied.

Many thanks for the big help, Eric!:D I knew about 3D Warehouse but I had problems to import symbols. Now I know how the process is made. :)Why some symbols stretch textures and materials (picture attached)?

I'll check the option of making objects from the begining, Joseph cos I really need it. My plaid doesn't look too attractive yet and I'd love improving it.:D

preview.jpg

an alternative to making the throw - back clipped section, draw guide line at center, polyline, start to add a few points, change lines to curves, copy and reflect, polyline union, if you still have a line on the bottom disconnect and delete.

Pline.thumb.jpg.379c0df7be13002332255c004e1bc54b.jpg

Convert polyline to 3D molding line, set molding height and depth. An advantage being if it's a little off you can adjust thickness, offset of molding and or height.

616061003_BedThrow.thumb.jpg.63b3fd5a7762cac9458ff7ff31d57a4e.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'm still trying to make the throw - back clipped section of a possible plaid but I don't understand very well the tools available (guided lines, points...). :unsure:For the moment I've used one of the symbols at 3D Warehouse. It doesn't look perfect but it's ok.

Many thanks for your help, Eric, Mark and Joseph :)

preview.jpg

Great job building a throw from scratch for the bed!

Eric's suggestion of making your own material is a great thing to learn.  He gave the link to an article and here is the link to a video on that subject:  

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/38/creating-custom-materials-and-colors.html

If you can find a good, straight on photo of the plaid you want to import into Chief as a custom material,  take a screenshot of it.  Follow the instructions in the video to import it into your user catalog as a material.  Then you can easily apply the material to your throw.  

Btw, I just put a request in the Suggestion Forum for a new bonus catalogs of throws and blankets so we won't have to create them from scratch...  :)  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SusanC said:

Great job building a throw from scratch for the bed!

Eric's suggestion of making your own material is a great thing to learn.  He gave the link to an article and here is the link to a video on that subject:  

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/38/creating-custom-materials-and-colors.html

If you can find a good, straight on photo of the plaid you want to import into Chief as a custom material,  take a screenshot of it.  Follow the instructions in the video to import it into your user catalog as a material.  Then you can easily apply the material to your throw.  

Btw, I just put a request in the Suggestion Forum for a new bonus catalogs of throws and blankets so we won't have to create them from scratch...  :)  

Hi, SusanC!:)

Many thanks for your answer. Unluckly, I didn't make the plaid from scratch.:( I just downloaded from 3D Warehouse. I'm still learning to build objects and it's going slow. What I do to build materials for floors and walls is just what you said: I make a screenshot from a good picture and import it.

I wish that bonus catalog of throws and blankets is available soon. I really need it! :D

Tons of thanks!

Hi Marlem2000,

You're welcome!  By the way, another way of getting materials into your user library in Chief is by building your own using Substance Player.  This is a great article with a video on how to use the tool.  I use it a lot for custom tile, but you can also create custom fabric, wood, stone.   There are limits to what it can do, but I've found it very helpful.

Susan  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SusanC said:

Hi Marlem2000,

You're welcome!  By the way, another way of getting materials into your user library in Chief is by building your own using Substance Player.  This is a great article with a video on how to use the tool.  I use it a lot for custom tile, but you can also create custom fabric, wood, stone.   There are limits to what it can do, but I've found it very helpful.

Susan  

Hi, SusanC!

I have installed Substance and, definently, it's a really cool programme to build tiles.:D I usually work with carpets in the style of the textures included in Warner Wallcoverings but I'll get Substance in mind to work with bathrooms, kitchens and so on (I'm begining with just rooms). I still have a lot to learn!:)

• Like 1