Does anyone know how to create a open corner cabinet?

Elopez

hello, I'm trying to create a open corner cabinet. If anyone can help me with this, please help I need this done by today. I'm using Chief Architect Interiors X14 on a window.  

I want to do this, without the shelve. 

1915358548_Screenshot(166).thumb.png.1017e9dba3d1bcd22cc00f9f131c806c.png                 

This is what I done so far, I took a wall cabinet and removed the door and shelves but now I don't know how to remove the middle part. 

1005556950_Screenshot(170).thumb.jpg.dbd80439eb0cca3c25ffe19111348cc4.jpg  

Edited by Elopez
client personal info

I'm sure there's a faster way to do this (I've only been using CA for about 3 weeks now)... but (for what it's worth) when I had something like that come up, I used partitions to create the vertical cabinet side panels (backs, left panel, right panel) and then any horizontal cabinet parts (cabinet top and bottom). 

Open corner.jpg

corner2.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm curious if someone has a method of customizing cabinets so thanks for throwing the question out.

In my experience, if it is just for presentation, the easiest way is to construct it using 3D solids.

Once you have built it and signed the materials you can turn it into an architectural block and add it to you library for future use.

Pretty primitive but for a single cabinet it is quick and easy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 11:57 AM, Elopez said:

trying to create a open corner cabinet. If anyone can help me with this, please help I need this done by today.

First - this forum is where you post your tips,  not where you ask how to- That's what Q & A is for; you would have had more answers faster-so next time.

Attached plan has a few ways to approach this. For just open no doors as you have I would use the following

1) Without a video this one is a bit difficult to learn but I rarely do vids and not today...Open the cabinet that is outside the building and look at ALL of the box construction, and front, sides configuration. Then use the saved camera there (look at setting for that too!)

• start with a cabinet; set box construction to framed, separation to 0, change left and right side to finished.
  • Open camera view set to clip items somewhere between 6 and 9 inches, select the delete surface tool, delete that remnant of the center stile from the inside, then swing the camera around and delete it from the front.
  • Convert to symbol, fixture interior, set stretch planes and zones. IF you convert to a symbol you have faster ways to adjust size than a block does.
  • Save the plan for future use. IF you also save the plan then you can edit the object parts of it and make a new symbol (same as if it were a block)

corner cabinets.zip

16 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Place a corner cabinet. Open its dialog box, click on to select the door on the "Front, Sides, Back" tab and select "Opening". Then go to "Shelves, specify" and select "Manual" and zero shelves.

But it only works for an "angled front".  The OP wanted to get an "L" shaped cabinet without the center stiles.  I don't think it can be done using the cabinet dbx.  Actually, I think this is a bug (or at least a shortcoming) since the doors on an "L" shaped cabinet would usually be hinged as a "reverse-bifold and the stiles wouldn't be there.

• Upvote 1

There are a few ways I've found to make this work:

image.thumb.png.dd0ce6bf40f63e16c9e92b879835a997.png

Option 1: Single standard L-Shaped corner cabinet.

Box Constriction: Framed. Separation: 0".

Delete Door/Drawer to leave single Opening.
The problem with this is that chief leaves a 0" thick surface on the main face of the cabinet that you can't get rid of.

If you can ignore it, GREAT!

Option 2: This looks the best but took 5--yes, five--cabinets. All set to Framed / 0" Separation as well.

Two 12" on the left and right with Right and Left sides respectively, set to None.

Two 3" on the inside of the 12", their noses overlapping, both Left and Right side set to None - this is purely to create the full toe kick.

One 21"x21 in the center, Right or Left set to none, depending on which way it's facing.

image.png.313ef4de7d17a180e6f7f1f270db5878.png

Option 3: Same as Option 1, but set the Cabinet material to "Opening (No Material)", Custom Back set to Panel - Inset

Of course this one only really works well if there's cabinets on either side, like in OPs photo.

The big issue with this one though is that the face edge of the bottom separation uses the box material, so it looks like a 0" surface.

To fix this you have to go to the Front/Sides/Back panel, select the Opening, click the Shelves Specify button, set it to Manual, add an additional Shelf, and set it's Spacing From Previous to 0. Which pulls shelf 1 down...

Still probably faster than making 5 weird cabinets that all have to play nice together.

It would sure be nice if they'd add the ability to just remove the stiles.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:57 AM, Elopez said:

hello, I'm trying to create a open corner cabinet. If anyone can help me with this, please help I need this done by today. I'm using Chief Architect Interiors X14 on a window.  

I want to do this, without the shelve. 

1915358548_Screenshot(166).thumb.png.1017e9dba3d1bcd22cc00f9f131c806c.png                 

This is what I done so far, I took a wall cabinet and removed the door and shelves but now I don't know how to remove the middle part. 

1005556950_Screenshot(170).thumb.jpg.dbd80439eb0cca3c25ffe19111348cc4.jpg  

--------------

My Solution is to use two cabinets, but requires you turn off the 'Create Automatic Blind Corner Cabinets' option.  I am unaware of another way to keep Chief from wanting to fill in the interacting surfaces.

Check out the video below.

6 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Option 1: Single standard L-Shaped corner cabinet.

Box Constriction: Framed. Separation: 0".

Delete Door/Drawer to leave single Opening.
The problem with this is that chief leaves a 0" thick surface on the main face of the cabinet that you can't get rid of.

If you can ignore it, GREAT!

...or you can add a few extra steps:

Use the Delete Surface tool to delete that extra face

Select the cabinet and Convert to Symbol (preferably without the countertop)

Place the new symbol in position

Use a Custom Countertop