Learning about printing

CAScott

I currently use another BIM program and set up my CDs to be 22"x34" when issuing for permit, bids or construction. In-house, I have an 11x17 printer and simply print to 50% size for checking, coordination, etc. Can this be done using Chief Architect, or is there an equally simple way to accomplish this?

In the preview pane, try setting the scale (fit to paper input) to 95% when printing to a 11 x 17 PDF (Tabloid size).

This works quite well for layouts which are set up for 24 x 36 formatted sheets.

The 95% however may need to be fine tuned for 22" x 34" ...meaning a few % less. ...like 92 or 93.

4 hours ago, VHampton said:

try setting the scale (fit to paper input) to 95% when printing to a 11 x 17 PDF (Tabloid size).

Doing this would mean the Pages are NOT at True Scale  ........as they are not printed at 100% 

but Fit to Paper (page) works if needed on 11 x17 paper  ---- not that anyone should be scaling off a Paper Page but they Will and Do

Chief does have a 1/2 Scale Check Option in the Print Dialog but on a 24 x 36 that would require a 12 x 18" page.....

So a 22 x 34  (or ANSI D) Layout Template will work perfectly on 11 x 17 Paper using Check Print at 1/2 Scale.

M.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Doing this would mean the Pages are NOT at True Scale  ........as they are not printed at 100% 

That seems to be what has been done with jobs that I take over but not a true 95%, that would be too easy you need to do 94.23% or something.;)

20 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Totally agree Kb. Thank you for making that distinction.

(I only use 24 x 26 sized layout, and thus the unconventional fit to paper method) 

My response was to describe how a larger layout can fit more snug (onto an 11 x 17 sheet) - which are typically for 'show and tell purposes' only. There's also a slight benefit in making a reduced scale PDF (before sending to printer) in that it reduces the file size for emailing. 

But just to recap... 

• In the event that someone wants a "scale-able" 11 x 17 tabloid print, then a 22 x 34 layout is the way to go when using "Check Plot at" [1/2 scale].
  • 24 x 36 sheets can be 'check plotted' at exactly 1/2 scale onto 12 x 18 paper. 

On 10/14/2022 at 9:18 AM, CAScott said:

I currently use another BIM program and set up my CDs to be 22"x34" when issuing for permit, bids or construction. In-house, I have an 11x17 printer and simply print to 50% size for checking, coordination, etc. Can this be done using Chief Architect, or is there an equally simple way to accomplish this?

Yes.  I do this exact thing myself.  Here are a couple examples with visuals:

One option is to do as @Kbird1 suggested and just set you Drawing Sheet to be 22"x34" in Layout,  but when you print, simply select Check Plot at>1/2 Scale: Example using 24x36 and 12x18 but same exact principle applies:

Pic.thumb.jpg.18f0dc8241767ade7822e892bd0c6f86.jpg

If scale doesn't matter, you can also do as @VHampton suggested and simply use Fit To Paper.  I would however note that the percentage completely depends on your title block and borders.  For me, 100% works just fine for printing 24x36 to 11x17:

1279628127_Pic2.thumb.jpg.1271b9ce66c3002ffc88c3284092012d.jpg

• Upvote 1