Foundation vents cutting plan view walls

Gawdzira

So the foundation vents that come in the core library are window symbols which have always been a little bit wonky.  For some reason if you put these in your foundation wall and then move them up to the first floor wall which is thinner, they won't cut out the wall hole correctly (you might want to report this to chief because it seems like a bug to me).

I created my own vent using a louvered window and it does cut out the wall correctly.  It has the added benefit of being able to turn off the casing on the interior and make other adjustments to make it look more how you want.  It will still show up on the foundation floor though.   I attached it below if you want to give it a try.

I am not sure if there is a better way to make a window show up in a camera view and not show up in a plan view.  I know you can change the "window level" which will make it display differently but it won't make it go away completely.  I suppose you could always just hide it with cad but that seems like a pain.  Maybe someone else has some better ideas.

foundation vent.calibz

29 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

I am not sure if there is a better way to make a window show up in a camera view and not show up in a plan view

Try putting the Vents on a dedicated Vents, Foundation Layer so it can be on in 3D and off in Plan View .

If the Layer is on in the Library Item,  it should come in with the Symbol if need.

M.

• Upvote 2

It's not a layer problem.  Take a look at his plan and pictures. The vent is already on a layer that is turned off in plan view.  The problem is that he doesn't want to see the hole in the wall where the vent is.  Moving the vent to the foundation wall doesn't work because it does not look correct in 3d.  Using a louvered window instead of the vent symbol will at least solve this part of the problem.

23 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

If I place the foundation vent on floor 0, the visual display changes to lose most of the trim

This is because it automatically recesses to the main layer on the Foundation Wall and that being the Concrete, it is buried in the Siding, unfortunately the Recessed option is greyed out since there is only one layer ( I assume) , and since it seems the Hole display is the Issue not the Vent itself, I'd personally do as Mike suggests and convert the Vent (Window) into a symbol (Fixture)  with the insert into wall option ( 6-8") , so it can be adjusted to match the current project Siding/trim details and using the Vents,Foundation Layer be turned off in Plan View when not needed.

Mick

Try this one...........FDN_Vent_MHD.calibz

image.thumb.png.7d56b71f9aa26baf1cfc0a8bd2708a24.png

4 minutes ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Dude, what is up with the "current project siding" in your image? :blink: 

Looks like the Rainbow Tool gone awry. ;)

:) , I was using Line over STD View to show the Vent better and it seems Chief's default Lap siding has the Pattern set Correctly but the texture is 1 board off  ie 32" vs 36" tall for the 9 board Image

image.thumb.png.5e57f9ea7762b21254dceb32ba64dd59.png

M.