X7 Chief Blueprint Font Changed?

BenPalmer

I noticed with the installation of X7, there are text items that have changed there alignment and cohesiveness.  This appears to be a direct result with the Chief Blueprint Font only.  In fact it is happening on X6 plans as well which leads me to believe that a new instance of that font was installed on Windows during the installation process, or it wouldn't effect X6 plans.  Is that the case?  And was there some kerning changes made to this font?  It appears to be taking up slightly more space then in X6, resulting in text that was one line jumping into two lines.  I can fix it with some time commitment, but I'd rather the font work the same as it did in X6.

Curious if others are seeing this?  Can Chief comment on if this font was edited?  If so, why?  If so, I may need to switch to another font if it is going to be edited each time to maintain consistency across upgrades.

Thanks.

That was mentioned in the "What's New in X7" PDF. edit - The link form your locker is called migration guide

Chief Blueprint Font

The Chief Blueprint font was improved for Version X6, with decreased top and bottom spacing. The change in
spacing may increase the overall height of text objects using this font in X6 files opened in Version X7. X5 and
prior legacy files will not be affected by this change.

Not sure why, but my blocked text seems to do that with every new version and I have to unblock and check auto height and width to fix, and re-block. Most of my text block notes are in my layout template. This is an every version fix for me. What I want to know is why, when I block the text, does it un-check auto height and width? Not using Chief Blueprint, using standard Arial.

Thanks Kevin, appreciate you pointing that out.  Did you read that guide, or was that something discovered in Beta?

I guess I don't fully understand how a change in X6 is effecting X7?  In addition, this change is effecting my X6 files as well.  So it sounds like the change was made in X7 versus in X6?  If there is no bug, I guess I'll just have to live with updating text, and being vigilante looking for surprise changes.  Almost got burned on a file I had previously finished in X6, openened and printed in X6 and several text items are messed up.  Seems like I shouldn't have to look for surprises when working in legacy, but this had to be a result of updating the universal windows font when installing x7.  That should be spelled out better, if it was discovered at all.  I guess my alternative is to get the old X6 font, and rename it, and have X6 files read to that renamed font, then I wouldn't have to deal with problems using X6.??

I had to open a plan I did in X4 and noticed the same thing today!   I was wondering what happened.   It clipped all my text and I had to go expand each text box in the whole plan.......

I found that I could double click the text and it would open the dialogue box.   I could then just click "OK" and it would resize automatically which made the process a lot faster.   But, I had to open EVERY bit of text.

I had to open a plan I did in X4 and noticed the same thing today!   I was wondering what happened.   It clipped all my text and I had to go expand each text box in the whole plan.......

I found that I could double click the text and it would open the dialogue box.   I could then just click "OK" and it would resize automatically which made the process a lot faster.   But, I had to open EVERY bit of text.

It's  called the "truncated text phenomonon".......It's been going on for years.  X3 and X4 were notorious for it.  I haven't ran across it yet in X6 and have yet to try X7.

Seems like the solution would have been to rename the font for X7, and therefore legacy files would not be affected when installed into windows.  Then we can either use the new font or the old font moving forward.  Basically, the user would then have the choice if they want to update the font or not.  Maybe it isn't too late to make this change?  It could be changed for the final release, but those of us who installed the beta would need to manually make the change, which I would be ok with.

Do we know if it's a font issue, or the way the program version handles the font and text in general? If it's a font issue, the easy solution would be to copy the existing Chief Blueprint font, then reinstall it after upgrading - but then you lose out on any additions/changes/improvements with the new version of the font.

If this helps, I do this every time a new version comes out and never have issues. Change every text default on the profile plan to Window's (if you use a PC) "Blueprint." It never changes. I don't use Chief's fonts for that very reason. 

I may do that.  Thanks for the suggestion Adam.   I use to use Dan Bauman's blueprintdpt, which I believe is what Chief's front was adapted from.  I changed to Chief's thinking it would be easy, but these changes make it difficult to stay with there font.  I need the consistency.

I am assuming a change was made based on the migration guide pointed out by Kevin.  I can't make any other assumption until Chief officially comments.

For you

That is interesting. I've never had a problem with my font. I just opened an older layout and elevation in which I used Window's Blueprint with lots of text. No issues.

Do you have a large amount of text blocks in your layout. I do and also in the my lib. For me, it seems that the text block is the problem.

OK, this has really been driving me crazy.  I opened an X6 plan in X6 to take care of some City redlines, and all my electric blocks are messed up.  So what I did was found the old font from another computer I hadn't upgraded to X7 yet, and installed that over the new one Chief installed, and that fixed everything beautifully.  I copied the font to a folder to keep that font around in case updates re install it.

With that said, what is the easiest way to universally change the font in current and future plans?  Chief Blueprint is there by default, and would like to change this, but there are lots of places to change it.  Wondering if deleting the font from the computer which I assume will prompt chief to ask for a replacement may be the fastest.  Suggestions?

Wow....what a pain in the rear!   I decided to bite the bullet tonight and not deal with this going forward.

I downloaded and installed blueprintdpt and updated all my annosets to use this font.

I am now realizing the downside to using "rich text".   When using standard text with a "text style" everything updates globally when you update or change the "style" unless you have "custom" selected.

I am getting more into refining my annosets, but see the need to go back and create a real good template.   (I use the "save as" method not templates).  I will have to update a lot of my notes and labels as I used "rich text" a lot and did not realize how difficult this would make things as I went further with annosets.   Funny, I just began taking a look at annosets and really tweeking them.   I cant believe I waited as long as I did to use them!  Anyone who has not come up to speed on them should invest the time for sure!!

With that said, what is the easiest way to universally change the font in current and future plans?  Chief Blueprint is there by default, and would like to change this, but there are lots of places to change it.  Wondering if deleting the font from the computer which I assume will prompt chief to ask for a replacement may be the fastest.  Suggestions?

You already found the fastest way - just replace the font at the system level.

You already found the fastest way - just replace the font at the system level.

Thanks Robert.  That works great for replacing the same font with the same name which i'm happy with as a quick fix.  But what if I want to change to a completely different font with a different name?  What is the fattest way to do that?  Is there a universal way to go to one place and change all fonts to a new font?  Or does each style need changed individually?  Since Chief ships the software with it's font as the default, this process will have to be done each time an upgrade comes out. (hopefully it doesn't change back with each minor update).  Or go to the 'save as' method as previously mentioned, and rely on those settings after changing out the font.  Let me know if I'm overlooking something obvious.

Let's say you want to use Arial instead of Chief Blueprint. Open the system font folder, delete the Chief Blueprint font, then make a copy of the Arial font and rename the copy to Chief Blueprint. Of course, this doesn't solve any kerning or special character issues that you'll encounter with replacing Chief Blueprint with a vastly different font.

Thanks Robert.  Was hoping to do it within chief without hacking things.  Makes future releases more clean to work with.  But that also answers my question that there isn't a quick universal way to change the font 'within Chief'.  Was just curious if there was.  Thanks again for the out of the box thinking.