dimension to center of slab

SHCanada2

Go to solution Solved by DBCooper,

I'm trying to dimension from center of deck pile, to outside of deck (or anywhere for that matter).  But it seems like there is no snap in the center of the pile (slab)

must be something simple. My snap settings have everything on except grid.

it see

s the center if i start from the outside, but just wont snap to it, which means if i move the pile, the dimension does not come along with it

I can snap to the outside of the pile.

Any ideas why I cannot do this?

3 hours ago, rgardner said:

Is Deck post footings layer locked by chance?

no

11 hours ago, MoeGia said:

Try rotating the pier/slab 90 degrees, then dimension

did not change anything,

18 hours ago, DBCooper said:

Try turning on arc centers.

but.. I think this did work, or at least it works today when i tried again

2 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:
21 hours ago, DBCooper said:

Try turning on arc centers.

but.. I think this did work, or at least it works today when i tried again

Should not be necessary.  I keep them off and dimension to centers of pier ftgs in every plan.

2 hours ago, rgardner said:

I keep them off and dimension to centers of pier ftgs in every plan.

how are you creating them? If I use the build-slab-pier then I can snap to center. The one I was trying was auto build by the deck room

And it looks like the slab->pier has to be under a wall

9 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

how are you creating them? If I use the build-slab-pier then I can snap to center. The one I was trying was auto build by the deck room

And it looks like the slab->pier has to be under a wall

No those Round Pads or Square Piers are not independent pier footings, they are for point loads on foundation walls. 

I will use either the post with pier ftg., or a polyline and convert it to a slab usually. I always change my Pier ftgs. to the Footings layer (personal workflow preference).

UPDATE:

I am checking it right now since the latest update end of last week and it does appear that the snap point on the center of the pier ftg. that is made with the post and pier tool will recognize the center point but will not snap a dimension to it.  This is a lost functionality that should be reported.  It will snap to the corresponding outside edge of the pier at center point but will not show the automatic centerline.  This is a bug as I have done that hundreds of times and not had this issue.  BTW the polyline converted to a slab still works appropriately, and you can still mark that segment as centerline and it still behaves the same but is not snapped to the center of the ftg rather the perpendicular point to it on the outside.