Material list: why would a framing member report in wrong section?

GeneDavis

4 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

I manually placed a pair of LVLs which make a beam into which trusses and rafters head.  In the spec, I selected ROOF BEAM as role.  

They report into the subfloor section.  Why?

How did you place it?  Was it a copy from floor framing?

Technically , in Chief anyway, a horizontal beam is not considered a Roof Beam but a Floor/Ceiling Beaming, Roof Beams are pitched per the roof pitch :  x:12 , and it may depend on what floor you placed it on whether "chief decided" it was a Floor or Ceiling Beaming.

It was a combination of things.  The main floor framing directly below has the pair of LVLs as a drop beam.  I copied them then went to floor 1 where I have the roof, pasted and held position, then edited height, member height, and role (roof beam).

Not enough to get into material list as wanted, so I deleted and manually placed and all OK now.

4 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

It was a combination of things.  The main floor framing directly below has the pair of LVLs as a drop beam.  I copied them then went to floor 1 where I have the roof, pasted and held position, then edited height, member height, and role (roof beam).

Not enough to get into material list as wanted, so I deleted and manually placed and all OK now.

You can do it that way but you have to change it in the components tab as mentioned above:

4 hours ago, robdyck said:

Select one of those lvl's, open the dbx ,then click and inspect the components tab.

I repeated that operation using a general framing member. Components / ID.

image.thumb.png.deb4f27136ddacdcafd7cda01c214bf1.png