Framing references appear to not be working and getting some strange framing results

contractcad

Don't know if its a chief architect problem or a me problem but I am trying to create an accurate framing model for a somewhat simple L-ranch home. I don't mess with framing too much but for this design I thought it important to work out some accurate framing views because of the rather large heel attic trusses and ceiling height changes.

I first attempted to just do a automatic framing of the whole house but soon changed to frame the walls individually first using a framing reference (move the reference around depending on which wall I was doing) and then click on "retain framing" when I was happy with it. One wing of the home seemed to do well (basement wing) but as soon as I moved the reference to the other wing (crawlspace/garage wing) it is as though the framing reference isn't even there.

I have manually adjusted some of the framing by clicking off the "use framing reference" button and manually adjusting the offset but I am still getting some funky results. One of the more irritating is that the double plate at the top of my 12ft high great room eave walls are ignoring the scissor truss energy heels (1ft) and the wall is shoving the top plates thru the bottom of the truss close to the top chord.

Another is that although the garage wall on the basement side of the house appears to create the wall below the attic truss properly the wall on the other (front) side of the home wants to also put studs in between the attic truss along with an extra set of top plates near the top chord as well.

Just wondering if someone with more framing experience can see where I am erring or let me know to get where I want to go it'll have to be tediously done manually.Green - Truss and Framing 2.plan

4 hours ago, contractcad said:

hmm, wouldn't load the first time but seemed to do ok when I clicked retry. 

Also, not sure how you would be able to do a complex house unless you're able to move the framing reference around. I did watch one of the videos on framing references and it mentioned moving them around as if it were not a problem.

Green - Truss and Framing 2.plan 9.79 MB · 2 downloads

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/335/using-a-framing-reference.html

Yep, that's the video I watched. Thought I understood what it was saying.

now for another problem I'm having. It also  appears that when framing the floor joists the program is ignoring the joist direction I indicated over the basement area.  The program is laying my floor joists parallel to my center support beam.  I'll look at that problem in the morning after I get a few hours sleep. 

12 hours ago, contractcad said:

ignoring the joist direction I indicated over the basement area.

one possibility is you placed them on the wrong Floor  ........ as Chief displays Floor Framing on the Floor below.

Mick.

There is no floor framing built for Subfloor For Floor 1, so I am assuming what I show in the attached pic is what you want.

You need to divide the 2 areas so they frame the correct way.

Both areas are being framed according to the Joist Direction.

You need to break the area into 2 different framing areas.

In the picture, I nominated the short wall as a Bearing Wall.

You could have also used a Bearing Line to do the same job.

Chief will then frame the top area so that the joists run to span the shortest distance.

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 8.55.56 am.jpg