Using the truss editor seems limited.

KnotSquare

First let me say that I am working with this guy: http://montanatimberframes.com/. Short on words, long on talent. No phones allowed in his shop, but what a craftsman.

We are building a timber frame home in Butte, Montana and he said he would do the shop drawings by hand. I have this great tool, so I though I would see if I could create a dimensioned cut list for him, right down to the overlap at the peak where the tenons will go through the mortises.

Chief seems weak in its truss editing capabilities. I am unable to place a decorative post below the bottom chord, although I can trace it out in CAD lines (shown in red). This will not convert to a polyline solid to even represent what I am after.

More frustrating is the ends can only be brought in, not squared off. If I move those red cad lines in from each end to the appropriate location I cannot cut them vertically.

Any suggestions aside from creating a completely fake truss with polyline solids alone or primitives. I know how to create that, but honestly, I would be better off to create that in AutoCAD and import it.

image.thumb.png.0344cc9f077504e601961962c6626570.pngimage.thumb.png.caaa05d23648d0d2ee0dfbf85d4fc188.png

Thanks for any help.

I uploaded the plan at this stage in case anyone was interested in investigating it further. Just getting started with general layout and setting the grid. Wall design is based upon "The Perfect Wall" and we are going for Passive House standards.

Fisher Concept 1.plan

If it's a real timber job, not just accents, I take the time to model the whole framework arrangement in 3D, using Sketchup because I know it so well, and then import the whole thing into Chief as a symbol.

In SU, I can detail out whatever is helpful to the framer in his shop.  I rarely do the joinery elements, but I do size all the members.

The images here are from a hybrid, a house with its exterior walls stick framed, and timberwork inside that supports the second floor deck and a roof beam member.  The roof frame is all engineered trusses.  The trusses you see with collar ties and kingposts are all decorative.

The wrap porch has a timber post and beam array, and exposed rafters all 4x6 roughsawn.  I show the frame assembly, enough for the timber framer to do his thing.

Untitled 37.jpg

Untitled 38.jpg

2021-05-10 12_36_32-Porch timber framing - SketchUp Make 2017.png

2021-05-10 12_38_06-Porch timber framing - SketchUp Make 2017.png

2021-05-10 12_45_08-Porch timber framing - SketchUp Make 2017.png

In a Truss Detail Window you can edit the existing framing members, copy, etc.

These members are General framing members, so if you need a new member you can use a General Framing member.

Editing the end shape of a member is a bit cumbersome but can be done by using framing members or a cad line to shape the end of another - use the Trim and Extend commands to do this. 

If you want to get 2 or more profiles for the end shaping, you need to use 2 framing members to trim to.

Whatever changes you make in the truss detail should still only report as a whole truss in the ML.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 9.16.09 am.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, glennw said:

These members are General framing members, so if you need a new member you can use a General Framing member.

Not the same kind of  "General Framing Member"  that you can draw with the General Framing tool though unless you have a special trick ?

Chopsaw,

It has been a while since I edited trusses and you may be correct with respect to new framing members.

I am pretty sure that copying existing framing members that make up the truss works OK.

8 minutes ago, glennw said:

I am pretty sure that copying existing framing members that make up the truss works OK.

Yes I believe that is the only way.   Also if I remember correctly a cad line would only work for a square cut but now it seems to be ok for any straight cut.