Curved roof plane

winterdd

Below is my latest CA project and an example of a finished home with similar curved gable roof type. Does anyone have any references as to how builder's actually frame this so I can detail it? Is this where the curved lumber everyone picks through and puts to the side at lumber yards come into play? lol

image.thumb.png.319f1d272094c41431cb0ac9176d059f.pngimage.thumb.png.448e4a69bff15136d3d2e516008aef5d.png

40 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Likely the easiest way is to let the truss company worry about that and they can use up all their short pieces of lumber and charge you for all the extra truss plates. B)

haha agreed.......I will try a truss and see how CA generates it.

41 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Probably framed with a ledger on the wall and rafters running parallel to the roof slope stepping into a radius.

This is a good idea. I have seen how do they do the flared eaves but not the whole roof plane.

I've done it with a bandsaw and regular framing lumber, and sheathing done with two layers of 3/8 OSB.  For your curve, you will likely need a couple flush beams at the third-points of the curve, so your sliced rafters have OK depth at their skinniest middles.

Laying out and cutting pattern parts for use in marking the cut lines on the lumber is the careful part.  When the framer ******* about not having a bandsaw, tell him to buy a 14-inch one and Craigslist it when done.  You can sell one in a day.  I sold one to a timber framer who dismounted it from the stand and rigged it to a CNC-controlled arm for cutting curves in timber parts.

Here are a couple images of a roof profile begun as a 14/12 with a 12' span, rafters cut from 2x10s with one intermediate purlin beam, made with a pair of 2x10s.  You can get a feel for the curve from the skewed view.  I think it is something like what you have in your Chief model.  One continuous curve eave to ridge.

The house photo you show seems to have that roof section done with the curve in only its lower half, the curve more pronounced.  That is the way I would design it.

Screenshot 2022-04-03 231849.jpg

Screenshot 2022-04-03 231948.jpg

And here's a guy showing how it is done with engineered trusses and site-cut fillets made from 3/4" CDX.  This works when the fillet size is such that the parts can be cut from 4x8 sheets.  It's a little more tedious with longer curved sections.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

And here's a guy showing how it is done with engineered trusses and site-cut fillets made from 3/4" 1" CDX.  This works when the fillet size is such that the parts can be cut from 4x8 sheets.  It's a little more tedious with longer curved sections.

Nice Gene...