Changing Length Format in Schedules

BlueOakEric

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

I've been trying to figure out how to change the format of the length column in my framing schedule to feet and fractional inches rather than the fractional inches shown below. I really do feel like I should know how to do this but can't seem to find anywhere to figure it out. 

Can anyone help?

Screenshot 2022-03-29 152750.jpg

Eric Stewart, Estimator

Blue Oak Projects

Chief Architect Premier x.13

• Solution

It is completely possible but not quite as easy as it should be.  You will need to have a little knowledge of Macro's and Ruby as well as the new Number Formatter that was introduced in X12.

Maybe start here: 

Read through this:

Or post your plan file and I will see if I can set up an example for you.

image.thumb.png.49f1a19dea5a69a2e7ae3ff875a59105.png

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BlueOakEric said:

Can anyone help?

Assuming you need the Boards for an Order from the lumberyard ?

Then.....In your Plan Defaults , goto Structural Member Reporting and Set it to BUY LIST ,

Chief will then tell you how many 8',10',12',14' etc you need to Order.

Use the Edit button to set up new Materials and change the Priority Order

and delete defaults already setup you don't need.

* Do this in your Template Plan as well , so you don't need to do it for EVERY Plan....

M.

image.thumb.png.92a17bba7ac02eaab3ca7763f867b51f.png  image.thumb.png.26cb05c4a23566bb1a7d07205e3f667d.png

12 hours ago, solver said:

You can help us by adding that info, Windows or Mac computer etc to your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left.

Your Signature shows automatically every time you post making that information easy to locate and always available.

Thanks

Thanks for the help on formatting the posts Eric. New here and appreciate the help.

Mick

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I am just wanting the length for the schedule. I have the material list and member reporting set up the way you mention. I realize putting the length on the schedule is a little bit of overkill but as an estimator overkill is kind of my thing lol. On the plan that I'm working on currently the length really isn't that big of a deal as we are using dimensional lumber and it will all have to be field cut anyway. However, I do like my framers to have all the estimating information possible, not that they won't change when needed but so they can provide feedback of what changes and I can update my estimates/designs. On most projects, we will use engineered I-joists that are precut by our vendor. I've found that it's a little easier for the vendor when they have both the layout with schedule as well as the material list when they double check the engineering.  Hope all that makes sense.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your input!

Chopsaw

Thanks for the input. I will take a look at your posts and see if I can figure it out on my own, as I realize you are probably really busy with your own work. If I can't figure it out I will post the plan file and appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

On 3/30/2022 at 4:32 AM, BlueOakEric said:

Actually, I am just wanting the length for the schedule.

Ok I didn't realise it was for the Schedule , make sure to keep the Schedule in it's own CAD Detail

as Framing Schedules "in Plan" can really slow Chief down as it needs to refresh the whole schedule

every time you move the view or zoom in and out.

*If you don't know Ruby PM Chopsaw , I know he can get you going at a reasonable Cost.

Mick.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, BlueOakEric said:

Can anyone help?

You will need to use a number formatting macro for each one of those objects. The macro can be placed in one of the available fields in the Object Information panel of the dialog box.

Keep in mind you can create Custom Object Fields, and if so, remember to include that field in the schedule.

This process can be made part of the default settings for some framing objects, but not all (ie: wall framing).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

make sure to keep the Schedule in it's own CAD Detail

as Framing Schedules "in Plan" can really slow Chief down as it needs to refresh the whole schedule

every time you move the view or zoom in and out.

Thanks for the advise Mick. Never really thought about that. I'm still slugging through it trying to learn and write the macro on my own but keep hitting a roadblock....Going to give a a few more swings and I may have to wave the white flag and get more help.

Much appreciated

Eric

20 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Keep in mind you can create Custom Object Fields, and if so, remember to include that field in the schedule.

This process can be made part of the default settings for some framing objects, but not all (ie: wall framing).

Thanks Robert

That's the plan once I figure out how to formulate a macro that does what I need.

Ok so I've given it my best but keep getting stuck. I've attached a test plan. The Framing, Floor Layer Set has the floor system and schedule. Cut Length is the Custom Object property I set up if I can ever figure out how to get the macro right. I have a macro also title cutLength in the user defined macros.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

NumberFormatter Plan.plan

34 minutes ago, BlueOakEric said:

Ok so I've given it my best but keep getting stuck. I've attached a test plan. The Framing, Floor Layer Set has the floor system and schedule. Cut Length is the Custom Object property I set up if I can ever figure out how to get the macro right. I have a macro also title cutLength in the user defined macros.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

NumberFormatter Plan.plan 8.2 MB · 0 downloads

I paid this fella @Alaskan_Son to write some gibberish on the back of a digital napkin and somehow it saves me time and makes my plan look better. Scientology...go figure, but it works!

I'd get in touch with him if I were you!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I paid this fella @Alaskan_Son to write some gibberish on the back of a digital napkin and somehow it saves me time and makes my plan look better. Scientology...go figure, but it works!

I'd get in touch with him if I were you!

Thanks for the plug Robert : )  This tip I'll toss out there on the house though. 

@BlueOakEric, you should just need to change nf.unit = 'ft' to nf.unit = 'ft-in'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1