Foundation Dimensions resetting

Jambruins

Attached are two pictures. One shows the 30' dimension of the garage and the other picture shows the dimensions to the garage door openings.  I use the auto exterior dimensions to get my overall dimensions and then I use a point to point dimension to get my openings. However, the opening dimensions keeps getting reset back to the overall 30' dimension?  Why is this happening?  It is not only this plan, it happens in my other plans as well. 

resetting to.jpg

what I want.jpg

5 hours ago, Jambruins said:

Why is this happening?

are you pressing the auto exterior dimension after you put in the p2p dimension,

or are you suggesting you go to another view and come back and now they are gone?

I use a separate dimension layer for dimensioning foundations. i auto do them first and then manipulate the auto line to be where I want or p2p it. I have never seen the p2p vanish

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jambruins said:

I know I can change the auto exterior dimensions to do this but I like to dimension to the center of windows/doors in the floor plan so that would mess that up.

Auto Exterior Dimensions will dimension to opening centres.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:26 AM, Jambruins said:

Why is this happening?

You are using the dimension tools incorrectly. You're creating points only at the 2 corners and the rest of the dimensions are grabbing the openings.

You need to create proper dimension default settings for your foundation plans that will locate the center or the sides of the openings.

If you rebuild the foundation the manually placed dimensions locating the door openings will lose that locate.

So, If using manual dimensions, don't use auto-rebuild for foundations, or the build foundation tool.

Auto - foundation pairs nicely with auto-dimensions.

If and Once dimensioning needs to be cleaned up manually, then make foundation adjustments manually as well.

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2022 at 4:07 PM, SHCanada2 said:

are you pressing the auto exterior dimension after you put in the p2p dimension,

or are you suggesting you go to another view and come back and now they are gone?

I use a separate dimension layer for dimensioning foundations. i auto do them first and then manipulate the auto line to be where I want or p2p it. I have never seen the p2p vanish

I can't seem to find anywhere, but how do you create a separate dimension layer for your foundation?  I know it must be simple, but I am not sure what to do

create a SPV for the foundation, set the floor level to 0 in the SPV

in the selected defaults set:

image.thumb.png.c3a0bcfdf3e6a255934aca94f541459a.png

In my "Currently Using" 3/16 Foundation plan set", it has (if I click the edit). you can create one

note the layer set is "Foundation Set Print"

image.thumb.png.e02489c38e56ec5788cac7f8dc75c5a3.png

edit the dimensions: I have below. you will have to click the + button to add the named dimension set. then once you do, set it to a specific layer:

image.thumb.png.2af2e50ea8d755863907ae1e1b058a1b.png

and ensure that layer is on for the layer set you define in the first screen above. mine is called "Foundation Set Print"

and it looks like

image.thumb.png.1ebd5320f6d156d5fdb0877e3c550635.png

Basically I spent half a day creating these for each scale. It is probably  overkill, but I like the dimensions, CAD, callouts, and text separated by layer depending on which SPV I am on