Label lot lines

jtcapa1

I thought I'd try and use the more of the features of CA in creating my site plans.

One I like is the ability to show the length and angle of the lot lines just like the surveyor does

in degree's minutes and seconds, along with the length.

Sounds simple and I'm sure it is, but for some reason I'm hitting a wall in getting them to display

as expected.  It has to do with making a setting for the right size of text and then getting it to

display the surveyors notation correctly.   For some reason I cannot find that setting.

This is as close as I've gotten, if I keep forcing it, I'm going to screw up all the other settings.

Survey Notation.jpg

The text size for a displayed line length is controlled by the Text Style for the actual polyline. For a property line in a site plan I use a text size that will be about .125" when printed. For most of my site plans that ends up at about 20"-30" depending on the scale of course.

TIP: a much simpler way to control text style (than Chief's OOB settings) is to name your text styles based on the font / text size / bold / underline / uppercase, etc.

For the bearing angles, I use the azimuth bearing (just because the angle display is typical in my region) which requires an accurately placed north arrow.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, robdyck said:

Single click on the property line, then click Object Layer Properties. You can then select or edit the Text Style.

image.thumb.png.3fbb86e6f823157a7b4723624e078448.png

That was helpful.  That little box for OLP I kept missing.  But I still could not get the azimuth settings and decimal settings to display, even though when I clicked the "define" button, then edited the 'Saved Text Style' to be the size, type and height, I could not get azimuth even though 4 popups into this change, I got to 'Number Style' and the final 'Dialog Number/Angle Style' popped up and I changed to 'Decimal Feet' for number style and 'Quadrant Bearing' for Angle style.  That last one would not take on the selected polyline for the lot. 

I'll call SSA and see what they can help me with.

I was going about this wrong.  I needed to go into the 'Default Settings', 'CAD', 'General CAD' and then tweak the CAD default settings for that particular layer.

That was it.

Just now, jtcapa1 said:

But I still could not get the azimuth settings and decimal settings to display

You may be referring to 1 of 2 things:

• Default Settings / CAD / General Cad

or

•Polyline Specification / Line Style / Show Length & Show Angle

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So I have a question also regarding the labeling of lot lines. is there a way to pull the label off the line, rotate it horizontally and have a leader point to the lot line?  in placing my lot plan in layout i've needed to resize the text for viewability, however some of the labels are now overlapping, and I want to clean it up.

21 hours ago, 22trobbins said:

is there a way to pull the label off the line

The method discussed above does not use a 'label, but rather has  Show Length and Show Angle displayed for a line or polyline. These cannot be moved. To have the length and angle displayed in various formats as a label would be relatively complicated and would mean that a site perimeter would need to be drawn with individual lines and possibly utilize some macros for the label.