Weird Roof Anomaly...or am I missing something

SNestor

I have not noticed that exact situation before but chief does struggle with a roof over another roof in many other ways.  You may have found the magic number that needs to be brought to chiefs attention but would be really interested in what others have to say.  Roof groups will fix it but I really don't think that should be necessary.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I have not noticed that exact situation before but chief does struggle with a roof over another roof in many other ways.  You may have found the magic number that needs to be brought to chiefs attention but would be really interested in what others have to say.  Roof groups will fix it but I really don't think that should be necessary.

Thanks @Chopsaw...it's certainly odd behavior for sure. Using "roof groups" however does fix the problem. Just wondering if this is a "work around" or the way Chief was designed to work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...I had completely forgotten about "roof groups"...not something you use everyday. :) 

I first noticed this anomaly very early in  my journey with Home Designer Pro…i was modeling a Cape Cod with a breezeway between the house and garage…the design was for me…it drove my inexperienced mind crazy… I eventually stumbled on a solution similar to your demonstration with the roof plane…it still does it in X13 but I am so used to it I just fix it and move on…it would be nice to know why and even nicer for Chief to fix it…

5 minutes ago, SNestor said:

Just wondering if this is a "work around" or the way Chief was designed to work.

I would say according to the Manual it would be a workaround but being from Canada I have been accuses of not understanding English before.

"Specify the Roof Group of the selected room. Change this value to control how the program combines the selected room’s roof system with that of the rest of the building when automatic roofs are built."

• Upvote 2

Reading the manual...I'd say Chief put in "roof groups" for just such situations. Seems like a "in house" work around to me...but, at least Chief gave us a way to remedy the issue and for that I'm appreciative. Now...if they would just "improve" the stair tool I'd be a happy guy.

Here's a screen clip from the manual pertaining to roof groups for anyone interested;

2021-09-02_21-38-16.thumb.png.847a0d564804781fd259ea14180ba950.png

I suppose you could argue that tearing a hole in the gable end wall is the program's attempt to "join together to form a single integrated system"

However I think the intent of the tool is to provide two completely viable options to the situation, not to fix a glitch.

13 hours ago, SNestor said:

Thanks @Chopsaw...it's certainly odd behavior for sure.

Huh... that IS interesting. Also if you raise the roof on the one side that works properly, then you can raise the roof on the other side as well, but not more than the original difference between the two.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    HankStranger
    Newest Member
    HankStranger

• By basilbabaa
      SITUATION:  X13 3D renders, when compared to X12, appear blurred, washed out, less vibrant in quality and the vector renders have excessive line weights in X13

Rather than hijack a previous topic thread, I am starting this topic as a result of a side conversation that emerged here-in:  

It appears that there are others experiencing this same issue, and so I thought I would begin this here in it's own topic thread.  
      Here is a Dropbox link to image and video files (generated on both a i9 and M1 Pro Max chips) depicting the issue: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zt4tagbuhsfkbi/AABsTnIW6DjT5uExeP6e5mcAa?dl=0

As a note, I have already opened a support case with Chief Technical Support and they have graciously offered to look into it:  

If anyone else is noticing lesser quality output with 3D rendering in X13 as compared to X12, perhaps we can share our experience and thoughts here as well as with support towards a workable solution.
    • By LongTermDev
      I'm having an issue where the framing members for a flat roof (1/4" slope) over a porch are not displaying correctly in the cross section. My default setting for rafter size and the specification in the roof plane dialogue for that roof plane are set to 5 1/2", but it always draws the cross section as a 2x4. If I select any of the framing members individually and open the dialogue box, it says it's 5 1/2". The trusses and framing for the rest of the house all come in correctly. Any quick thoughts come to mind?

also, Is it better to upload a screen shot showing the problem or the whole file on here?

• By JLU_Design
      I'm having an issue with how the roof layers populate in Chief Architect.
      I want the roof "surface layers" to all be above the "fascia top height".
      Right now it always starts the roof "Surface Layers" 7/16" below the "Roof Plane Line".
      When building we align the outside corner of the face-board with the top plane of the "roof structure", Trusses or Rafters which should be the roof plane line.
      The OSB, Underlayment, and Shingles rest on top & outside of the face-board / "fascia top height" that is aligned with the top of the roof structure.
      Chief Architect consistently lowers the roof structure 7/16" (in plane with the roof surface) from the "Fascia Top Height" no mater the pitch.
      In order to get things to work I have to add a 7/16" layer to the "Roof Surface" and Subtract 7/16" from the "Roof Structure" (e.g. rafters) in order for the cross section to show the layers correctly.
      This works for any pitch meaning that the roof is dropped 7/16" (in plane) with the roof surface.
      The reason this is important is because I need to show Fascia Top Height in Elevation Dimensions and if I have to shrink the framing members, they are not modeled / sized correctly.
      I'd like to know if there's any way to adjust this default "Fulcrum" without the hackey way I'm doing it.
      I want to be able to specify the fascia top height and have roof planes properly populate from that point.

It's important to note that in this image both "Fascia Top Heights" are the same with the only difference between the two being the one on the left is a 7/12 and the one on the right is a 4/12.
      Where the green lines intersect represents the "Fulcrum" that the roof revolves around at the outside of the face-board by default and the red line shows the default top of the "Roof Structure".
      I have to add a 7/16" layer between these planes in-order to get the OSB to be above the green roof plane line & top of face-board.
      The roof "Structure" is always 7/16" in plane below the "Fascia Top Height" / "where the green lines intersect" by default from what I've been able to figure out.

I'd like to know if I am missing some setting that could change the "Fulcrum" point in relation to the roof layers.
      I've spent allot of time figuring this out but have not found a setting to fix this yet.
    • By APTArchitect
      I don't know what I did to make it disappear, but none of my library content is showing up any longer. 
      The library browser window is completely empty.
      I checked the folder path, and that is still correct. All content still exists in the folders I designated. Any suggestions?

• By alexpwalsh
      Up until recently, my reference display worked great exactly as shown in the help docs and videos. I have no idea what changed, but now it no longer appears in red, but rather in black and anywhere a line on the reference display coincides with a line on the displayed floor, the lines "obliterate" one another and there is no line shown at all. It makes for some very strange views that are uninterpretable, especially when windows are on top of each other. I attached pics to show what I mean. 

In my layer display options, the reference display set looks normal. Everything is in red. 

How can one "reset" the reference display to work as it does in a fresh plan?